VERY disappointed with my 3.06 GT130

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ucla95, Mar 23, 2009.

1. ucla95 macrumors member

So I'm playing World of Warcraft and I loaded it up both on OSX and Windows and updated all the drivers in Windows (it sees a GT130 card) and on high settings in desolate not popular areas I'm getting 43 fps!! wtf? I expected 80 or so. This graphics card and/or machine is terrible. Apple should be embarassed. Wish I could send it back. I might just do that even with the 15% restocking fee hit from Amazon.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I would have looked at benchmarks first before making a purchase solely on gaming performance. Apple hasn't been known for its video card power in a long time.

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

The GT130 is a rebadged 9600 GT, IIRC. Decent, but not a top of the line gaming best by any means. If you were looking for gaming performance, why didn't you get the 4850 upgrade?

Also, you know going over 60fps on an LCD is pointless, right? CRTs can change the scan rate and make things smoother, LCDs cannot. They will just tear, so turn on Vsync. It will prevent the tearing and save resources for more useful variants of eye candy.

4. ucla95 thread starter macrumors member

I wasn't looking for top end gaming, but if I'm reading prior posts correctly I'm getting WORSE fps than a last-gen 8800GS! So what I'm complaining about is it was no upgrade at all, and frankly this computer is worse than a last-gen computer besides the bigger HD and more memory.

5. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

You Realise the GT130 is a lesser card than the 8800 GS? (Which was Actually an 8800 GTS). You Should of done your homework before you went out and bought an obviously slower system, and you have no one to blame but yourself.

Should of got the 4850 Upgrade.

6. ucla95 thread starter macrumors member

That I did not realize, so yes that's my bad. I assumed that Apple when improving systems would improve the video cards and other components as well, not downgrade them. And the reason I didn't get the 4850 was I needed something now, my computer had just crashed.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

These new iMacs are barely different from the previous ones. :confused:

8. soldierblue macrumors 6502

The problem is the native res on the display is 1920x1200, so even if you did get the 4850 it's STILL not going to be sufficient for gaming at that res. Yes, 4850 is better than the GT130 (which is a rebadged 9600GSO which is, in turn, a rebadged 8800GS, which was an option for the 2008 iMacs) by maybe 15% or so. But, they're still utterly useless at 1920x1200.

9. Zmmin3 macrumors regular

Thats why I went with the refurb 24" 2.8. It has a dedicated video card compared to the new ones that have an integrated video card.

10. eelpout macrumors regular

eelpout

Actually, according to barefeats (see this thread), the GT130 is around 10% faster than the 8800GS on games played under OS X. Not a huge improvement, but it doesn't look like they're going backwards like some feared. Of course some of the speed improvement could be due to the faster RAM.

11. Lexlee macrumors newbie

Wow runs great on my new 2.96 w\ GT130. No stuttering or lag, the graphics run smooth as silk. But I don't know what frames per second I get and I don't care. I game very little which was the whole reason I got the iMac.

If you wanted to play games you should have bought a gaming rig with dual crossfire cards. Return the iMac, pay the restocking fee and get a PC. I love my Mac and so has everyone who has been over and seen it. Everyone who has been over to my house and played with it has left wanting one. My friends and family are blown away by the incredible software that came with the Mac plus the lack of junk software that comes standard with bloated window installs. But if I didn't enjoy my Mac I would have already returned it.

12. soldierblue macrumors 6502

Odd. There's still some confusion over what the GT 120/130 actually is.

13. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

I have the 2.93GHz 2009 iMac with the GT120 Graphics and honestly, I am also kinda disappointed. I'm getting quite a lot of screen tearing when watching iTunes HD Video Podcasts/TV Shows, YouTube videos and when using Spaces and Expose.

Hopefully this will be fixed with a driver update. (Hopefully!)

14. adamlbiscuit macrumors regular

Tomb Raider Anniversary runs great at full resolution, AA and settings. I don't have numbers though, i'm just going by visuals and noticeable fps slowdown which, to me, is all that matters.

15. adamlbiscuit macrumors regular

Tomb Raider Anniversary runs great at full resolution, AA and settings. I don't have numbers though, i'm just going by visuals and noticeable fps slowdown which, to me, is all that matters.

Sims 2 however, is a different story, lagging on most houses which are quite small (i made them when i played it on my MacBook) I don't think thats the computer, i think thats crappy porting on Aspyrs side.

Sorry about double post, i must have hit the button twice by accident.

16. eelpout macrumors regular

eelpout

Tearing on youtube videos?? Ouch.

17. adamlbiscuit macrumors regular

grrr i get a flickering effect on a lot of menus too with my GT130. Think font menu's and bookmarks etc. Anything which you have to scroll down to see the full set of options.

18. ucla95 thread starter macrumors member

I will update that I just ran WoW on OS X with High settings and got a slightly more respectable 50fps (although again in an empty area). So Vista 64 doesn't run the card as well clearly. But still a disappointment, was expecting 80 fps or so. Remember WoW is a four year old game!

I'm seriously considering taking the restocking fee hit on this one and getting a dreaded PC, and for me that means there's a big problem.

19. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Only the low end iMacs have the 9400M G integrated GPU. Just FYI, the 9400M G is an improvement vs. the 128MB ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT in the old low end iMac.

20. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Where did you get 80fps from? Was it a complete guess or based on something objective?

21. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

That doesn't sound right to me.... I should expect this will be fixed soon with an update.

22. L0s7man macrumors 6502

Do you REALLY have to use native res? What's the point? The graphics looks as good on say 1280x800. I don't care as long as I can maintain the aspect ration. Sure, non native res implies slight, well let's call it scaling issues. It might not look as perfectly smooth as native res with 16xAA or whatever, but who cares?

I'd rather play on 1280x800 with high detail ;-) And I can't really see the difference.

23. ucla95 thread starter macrumors member

Well after you shell out $2200 for a computer I think as a customer you have a right to believe it will play well in native res.

24. L0s7man macrumors 6502

*sigh*

Then you don't buy iMac, but Dell XPS (or something similiar) instead.

I'm waiting for HD4850 iMac as a gaming machine. My expectation is rather simple -> more powerful than MBP (which is an alternative on my shopping list).

Seriously, if I can play FEAR2/Mirrors Edge/Crysis Warhead/TF2/Dawn of War II/Dead Space/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and many more on MBP and iMac with GT130 is more powerful than MBP (according to posts on this forum, much more powerful), then I don't see any problem.

25. CrysisFX macrumors newbie

first of all think. wow is not a four year old game as wrath of the lich king was recently released. if you go back into pre BC areas you will get much higher fps. at max on my imac 3.06 with 8800 GS i get 30 fps every were in wrath areas but i hit 60-70 in org or close to 80 in empty pre bc areas such as silithus.

personally i like the max settings but i feel safer with a lot of fps so instead of max settings i use default. the only thing i do is enable vsync so i don't get tearing and i max the resolution. at those settings i have a constant 60 no matter what