Very disappointing battery life

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Alvi, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Hi, i have a 32GB iPhone 3GS, the battery is pretty bad and i bought it like the 15th of December 2009.
    I am familiar with Claimed battery life vs. Real one, i usually expect 3 hours of battery life if they claim 6, but this is less than half of their claim.

I now turn off Push notifications, email check and those kinds of things, i have brightness at 10-25% without the auto brightness feature
    If i have auto brightness on, push notifications only for an app called "boxcar" and mail checking every 30 mins it lasts me one day from 8AM to 12PM probably using it to read mails, open a website on wi-fi and other stuff for maximum 30-60 a day, at 12PM when i go to sleep the iPhone still has 5-10% which you can literally see how 10 drops to 9, 8, 7 in a few minutes if you browse on wi-fi, i almost feel that if i browse the web the battery percentage drops almost per minute or every few minutes

Is this normal?

2. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

He didn't say he had bluetooth on, but yes, turn if off if you have it on.

You should also turn of wifi, if you're not using it.

One thing that can really affect battery life that is often overlooked is the signal you are getting for 3G and EDGE (2G). If your phone is constantly having to search to get a good signal or your signal is lower that 3 bars, then your battery life will seriously degrade over time.

If none of that applies, I'd take it back, since you have a defective battery.

5. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

I don't really use 3G data, just Wi-Fi, should i turn off 3G or does have another kind of voice/text use?

6. s0crates macrumors newbie

Your results are indeed pretty low compared to Apple's claims. Even though I have a 2G i'll try to help if I can... Try a process manager app like SysInfoPlus or Mocha iSys to see if anything unusual is running in the background. Also, since you've done your tests with battery time, try the idle time without a sim card and then with wifi off, see how the results compare to when you got a sim inserted and wifi on.

7. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

I didn't jailbreak my iPhone, i better call apple

8. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

I didn't jailbreak my iPhone, i better call apple

9. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Having Wifi on doesn't make that much of a difference. Actually the battery stats on Apple's website are with Wifi on.

OP, try this. Charge your iPhone to 100%, turn 3G, bluetooth, push, fetch, push notifications off. Reboot your iPhone and leave it overnight. Then see how much the battery drained and post the results.

10. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

I'm also have a 32gig 3gs.. But my battery lasts alot better..i leave push, Bluetooth, wifi, and 3g on all day.. I can't remember I even have went into settings to change anything.. My phone lasts easily 14-15 hours.. Im a heavy text user. Atleast 300 texts a day. As well as heavy Internet user.. Something is wrong with your battery. Take your device up to apple. And they can check your battery. If something is wrong they will replace your device

11. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

wow, than i better talk to apple

12. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

I turned off 3G which i almost don't use and i had some pretty big improvement on my battery life

13. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

Charged my 3G upto full capacity.left it switched off overnight and turned back on the following evening and more than half the battery life is gone.Don,t know why this is as the phone was totally switched off:confused:

14. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

keep the 3g off, the 3g really takes alot out on the battery, mine lasts around 15-20 hours on stand-by and 4-5 hours of usage, 3g really kills my iphone 3g,

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

When was the last time you calibrated your battery? Even so, it sounds like your battery may be faulty.

16. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

Is it possible to calibrate the iPhone battery?