very distorted screen

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Bellafour, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Bellafour macrumors newbie

sometime this morning the screen on my mac became very distorted (almost pixilated.) i restarted while holding the shift key and it was resolved for about five minutes, then started up again. a friend suggested it could be a blown video card? i've attached a photo. any help would be most appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

bad video card. next time, provide at least mac model and graphic card model when asking for help. you don't go to a Car forum posting "My car does not work. What should I do to fix it?

3. Bellafour thread starter macrumors newbie

it's a G4 Dual Processor. i'm new, be nice. (and thank you for the diagnosis.)

4. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

try to check if the graphic card fan is clogged with dust.
    if not, then it simply is about to fail.

5. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

How polite...

6. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Was not being impolite. Simply pointing out that if you expect help, at least spend three seconds writing down sufficient information.

7. Bellafour thread starter macrumors newbie

feel free to not answer if my post offends you! i didn't have the info because it's a used machine and i couldn't read the screen and my friend who i purchased it from wasn't around. i got the same diagnosis by posting on facebook, with a lot of good humor to boot.

8. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Hey, Bellafour, check also second video output of your card (after dust cleaning ofc). If it will be that same - trash it ;)