Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

machinesworking

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2015
Mojave is good, but I did have a corrupted Finder and Desktop preference that killed my ability to eject external drives with the latest update. It also lost somehow the fork on the latest external SSD I bought after I ejected it using Disk Utility, making it disappear from all recovery programs until reboot. Strange and weird bug, only solved by trashing Finder and sidebar preferences after spending hours looking for Finder eject issue solutions online.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Having used Snow Leopard at work, try leaving a .pdf file highlighted in Finder, then exporting a QXP file as that same .pdf. Finder crashes every time, corrupting the .pdf. I've lost count over how many times this happened to me, my blood pressure still hasn't recovered. Plus QXP 8.1 crashed all the goddamn time, it's easy to run things in Rosetta without noticing (I did!).

Plus there's little things like window snapping and resizing being much improved (dunno which release this happened), spotlight being better, etc. Searching in Finder seems to have regressed somehow though. Spaces is inferior to the later multi-desktop implementation imo.

El Cap is where I started, and it was good. Was it Mountain Lion or Lion that had the bug where it would eat up all the available RAM? I remember that bug hitting several school computers, making them slow because everything was constantly swapping. That was a headache.

Mojave has APFS, the dynamic desktop (which I think is cool!), and stacks, which surprisingly came in handy more than I thought.

I dunno, I'm a big Mojave fanboy. I don't think Snow Leopard aged that well, I tend to lump it in with mid-classic OSX (Panther, Leopard)
Don't get me wrong. I do love me some Mojave. But I did also have a hard time letting go of Mountain Lion, El Cap, and Snow Leopard.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Don't get me wrong. I do love me some Mojave. But I did also have a hard time letting go of Mountain Lion, El Cap, and Snow Leopard.

I'm running Mojave. My former workplace typically had us upgrade a year after a release came out and it seemed like a good idea to me. I liked Snow Leopard as well.

ww1971

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2011
I read a news article last night (sorry, don't have the link and I couldn't find it this morning), implying that the Apple Silicon transition will be very fast, similar to PowerPC to Intel. The article explained the reasoning for the fast transition - if you take your time, a lot of your Apps developers take their time. Articles, at this point, though are speculation.

My current setup is that I have a Mac Pro class Windows desktop that I just built and I really like it. I VNC into a 2015 MacBook Pro to run my macOS programs and this works out quite well. I can just take the MacBook Pro with me if I need to use it somewhere else. I'm looking forward to Apple Silicon but it's possible that it would be a secondary platform for me depending on price, performance, thermals and compatibility. I can live without x86 compatibility with my current setup because I have other x86 systems.

So, if Apple screws it up, it may push people off their platform, either fully or partially. If they come up with hardware that is just an order of magnitude better, then that's a different story. But it would have to be that good to go through the compatibility issues that I expect to see - that is in doing a complete platform instead of a hybrid platform.

no applications under emulation such as Rosetta 2 will run as fast as the native version of the applications

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
I read a news article last night (sorry, don't have the link and I couldn't find it this morning), implying that the Apple Silicon transition will be very fast, similar to PowerPC to Intel. The article explained the reasoning for the fast transition - if you take your time, a lot of your Apps developers take their time. Articles, at this point, though are speculation.

My current setup is that I have a Mac Pro class Windows desktop that I just built and I really like it. I VNC into a 2015 MacBook Pro to run my macOS programs and this works out quite well. I can just take the MacBook Pro with me if I need to use it somewhere else. I'm looking forward to Apple Silicon but it's possible that it would be a secondary platform for me depending on price, performance, thermals and compatibility. I can live without x86 compatibility with my current setup because I have other x86 systems.

So, if Apple screws it up, it may push people off their platform, either fully or partially. If they come up with hardware that is just an order of magnitude better, then that's a different story. But it would have to be that good to go through the compatibility issues that I expect to see - that is in doing a complete platform instead of a hybrid platform.
The writer has a good point that I have not considered.

I am a proponent that the transition will finish by WWDC 2021 for these reasons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.