Very first MAC for engineer purpousses

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Chwilami, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Chwilami macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Im new to this forum and I'm about to buy a MacBook (Pro) in a few days. I have been using PC for many years. I got tired of all the Microsoft products and problems with PC's so thats why I'm buying a Mac. THIS WILL BE MY FIRST MAC EVER !
    But the problem is, I will need this computer for engineer works. I heard many good things about Mac making music and graphics. But what about programming microcontrollers and making applications which can be executed on WinXP ? I'am working in a team, where other members work on PCs. I would like to know if I will be able to cooperate with them.

If You could please ensure me, that on my new Mac I would be able to do these tasks:

- Programming Microcontrollers via programmers running with RS-232 interface (USB <-> RS-232 emulator)

- Communications with digital sensors based on RS-232 interface and via some kind of terminal, so I can send a hex value and receive answer.

- Preparing and testing applications in Visual Studio 2005 (also using virtual COM port) which can be then executed on Win XP. I have heard about parallels and VMWare but have no experience and I don't know if it will solve my problem

- Building models in Matlab Simulink (compiled for Mac OS or for Windows) and transfering ready models to PC Matlab.

- Network communication between Mac running Matlab and PC running other software but prepared to exchange data with Matlab.

I do understand that my questions suggest that I'm kind of noob, but I am in fact :eek:
    If you could give me some suggestions and give some advice if it is reasonable to buy a Mac, or should i by an ordinary PC.

PS: I would like to have a Mac.

2. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Frankly for all of the RS232 stuff you mentioned I would be very tempted to buy a Dell laptop with an actual serial port. I don't know how well those USB to RS232 interface adaptors work. I haven't actually done it, though, so don't go by my advice without verifying.

I suspect any of the custom software (drivers, compiler, downloader, tools, debuggers) for the microcontrollers would also be targeted at DOS or Windows, as well. Do they make native Mac versions?

I'd buy the MacBook Pro for home, personal use, and a (used?) Windows laptop with RS232 and/or parallel ports for the I/O work.

You could also run Windows on your MacBook Pro via Boot Camp or Parallels.

3. kid rock macrumors regular

4. Chwilami thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi there all !

I have a MacBook Pro and You know what... ?!? Every thing work just great :D

If some one wants to use applications like I use... JUST BUY MAC ! !
    Everything checked in several configurations and prooved to work without problems ! !

Best wishes to all ! !

5. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato