Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sinodira

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
Hi, I'm new to this forum, seemed like as good a place as any to get help with my issues =P

I have a third generation iPod touch running iOS 4.2.1 I jailbroke it earlier today with greenpois0n through terminal (I'm on a macbook pro with OSX 10.7.3 and the latest iTunes) and it worked fine, but my loader app is empty so I couldn't install Cydia. Supposedly this is due to the greenpois0n site being down and they recommended installing Cydia through Redsn0w. Which I tried, but when it gets to the end of the install it says "exploiting through limera1n" briefly and then says "unexpected error please reboot or use a different usb port" and I've been trying both for several hours now and am very frustrated. If there is any way to either:
a)Fix the loader app so that it can install Cydia like it should.
b)Fix Redsn0w so it can install Cydia like IT should.
c)Install Cydia manually so I don't have to deal with Redsn0w or Greenpois0n for a very long time.

that would be just spectacular.
Thanks in advance,
Sinodira

TheKnowledgeGuy

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
Probably not, but maybe your version of Redsn0w is too new? Upgrade to iOS5 or download an older version of redsn0w.
Also, I have no idea, but, with the 'USB port' error, is your device plugged in by a USB cable plugged in directly into your computer?

Axgema

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2012
Hi, I'm new to this forum, seemed like as good a place as any to get help with my issues =P

I have a third generation iPod touch running iOS 4.2.1 I jailbroke it earlier today with greenpois0n through terminal (I'm on a macbook pro with OSX 10.7.3 and the latest iTunes) and it worked fine, but my loader app is empty so I couldn't install Cydia. Supposedly this is due to the greenpois0n site being down and they recommended installing Cydia through Redsn0w. Which I tried, but when it gets to the end of the install it says "exploiting through limera1n" briefly and then says "unexpected error please reboot or use a different usb port" and I've been trying both for several hours now and am very frustrated. If there is any way to either:
a)Fix the loader app so that it can install Cydia like it should.
b)Fix Redsn0w so it can install Cydia like IT should.
c)Install Cydia manually so I don't have to deal with Redsn0w or Greenpois0n for a very long time.

that would be just spectacular.
Thanks in advance,
Sinodira

i know your problem. I'm pretty sure the reason it is saying something funky like that is because redsnow gets its ispw's directly from apple, and apple no longer holds onto ios 4.2 ispw's. so redsnow cannot identify or do its process. you can try downloading the ispw from internet and using a custom ispw, but i dont really know how that works. what i did for my friend's ipod 2g a few weeks ago was i went in greenpois0n.com, and downloaded the corresponding file (something like greenpois0n rc5). but you should see a page with something like lonks to download the tools and just pick the right one and you're good. its the only suggestion i can give you unless you upgrade to ios 5, in which case redsnow works miracles.
btw i have a macbook too so i know they all work on macs

sinodira

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
Sorry, should have said I got it fixed, There is some packages you can download, that you can SSH into the iPod, anyone who is having troubles in the future and finds this thread should watch this video, and realize that there is no such thing as a third generation iPod touch in 16GB or 8 GB and that its most likely a 2nd gen which is why it isnt working, just run greenpois0n and then follow the steps in this very helpful video. =P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7IUPQFOv6M&list=FLiCRxegcFev7LoH4Y1JGZ1A&feature=mh_lolz

TheKnowledgeGuy

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
Good to hear!

Also, another obvious thing that would work which I forgot to mention is using redsn0w's Custom IPSW option to load your old iOS version's file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.