Very funky Finder behavior

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Killerbob, May 25, 2014.

1. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

I have an MP3,1 which is working just fine. It is fast for my needs, and I have never really had a significant problem, until today...

In OSX (10.9.3) I suddenly experience a very very slow Finder:confused:

It takes seconds to open up drives as well as folders... wtf...

Funny thing is that if I login as my wife on the very same MP, there is absolutely no problems - fast as usual... I switch back to my login, and it is slow... And, it is only Finder action that is slow. Aperture, iTunes, Photoshop, all is fast as usual...

I haven't made any changes, and any software updates affect my wife as well.

Is there anything that is user specific which would affect OSX in this way?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do you have anything in your login/startup items on your account that you do not on Mrs. KB's account? That would cause this. Maybe some kind of utility?

3. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

I checked that out already, and even with nothing in the login scripts, it is the same. However, when I Safe Boot it is fine, so it is obviously something...

4. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Did you try trashing the finder plist files? Maybe something's corrupted.

5. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

I dont know if OP is talking about network folders. For me, my network folders are very slow to access. I just got my MBA last week. I have my shared folders on my server and when I click on a folder it takes a long time to access. My folders are on my server that does not go to sleep. This is my first mac so I really didnt know what to except.

6. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Just tested Finder lag issues on my new MP 5.1. I found out that my connected CCC backup external FW800 HDD is causing mayor lags in Finder. Specially the 'open with' execution takes a very long time and building the application icons too. That's because it will search the back-up for applications too. Now that I've added the HDD to the Privacy tab in Spotlight, Finder is as snappy as it should be.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Also look in the your user Library folder for anything running from the LaunchAgents folder. Anything in there that is not in the same folder in the other account?

Open Finder then in the Go menu click Go to folder and enter this.

Code:
    ~/Library/LaunchAgents

8. int3 macrumors member

int3

That's normal. On Windows network folder's sometimes the "explorer.exe" phreaks out and crashes due smb protocol being "slow". That affects all systems but Windows is just that system that I see crashing for everything.

anyway,
    clear you cache. Maybe it is something deal with some plist or other stuff.