Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitehexagon

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2007
I have a June '07 2.4 15" MBP. I've been more than happy with this machine, and wouldn't swap it for any of the newer models so far released.

Sadly at the weekend the GPU died :( From what I've read on here, I'm not the only person with 8600m gt problems. Machine was running fine on Sunday evening, did a reboot ready to do some backups and suddenly no screen output!

The good news is that the Apple Care turned out to be a really good purchase. I took my machine to a local store 9am Monday and had it back home and working again by 7pm the same day!! It even seems to run a bit cooler and thus quieter while messing around with graphics intensive stuff.

So now my big concern is how long until this GPU fails? If it's another 20 months of life before it fails, it's going to be outside of apple care, and I hate to think of the cost for a new logic board.

Do we know if the replacement logic boards have updated/fixed nvidia chips? It doesn't specify much apart from level 2 repair on the paperwork.

Cheers
Peter

akbc

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
As far as I know, the GeForce 8 series GPU is covered by an even more extended warranty.. isn't it?

I heard that somewhere, if you have the 8 series GPU that fails, and your machine is out of warranty, as long as it doesn't have any other issues, they'll still fix it. Since they officially admitted that the 8 series is defective across all MBP lines.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Unfortunately, Apple has only extended the coverage of this issue from the standard 1 year to 2 years. Ridiculous, but that means that if it fails again in 20 months, unless they've revised the policy, you're going to have to pay for the repair.

As far as I understand, we don't know for sure that they are using revised GPUs, but you might want to check the other discussions on this board to see what people are saying.

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
I thought they were replacing them with batches that were later revised and manufactured so there shouldn't be a problem!

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I have a June '07 2.4 15" MBP. I've been more than happy with this machine, and wouldn't swap it for any of the newer models so far released.

Sadly at the weekend the GPU died :( From what I've read on here, I'm not the only person with 8600m gt problems. Machine was running fine on Sunday evening, did a reboot ready to do some backups and suddenly no screen output!

The good news is that the Apple Care turned out to be a really good purchase. I took my machine to a local store 9am Monday and had it back home and working again by 7pm the same day!! It even seems to run a bit cooler and thus quieter while messing around with graphics intensive stuff.

So now my big concern is how long until this GPU fails? If it's another 20 months of life before it fails, it's going to be outside of apple care, and I hate to think of the cost for a new logic board.

Do we know if the replacement logic boards have updated/fixed nvidia chips? It doesn't specify much apart from level 2 repair on the paperwork.

Cheers
Peter

Apple is obligated to fix the problem regardless of whether you bought AppleCare or not. They've already released a statement saying so.

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
I had my Santa Rosa MBP's logic board replaced at least three times before they replaced my whole computer...

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Apple is obligated to fix the problem regardless of whether you bought AppleCare or not. They've already released a statement saying so.

But only for one additional year beyond the 1 year warrranty....or has the statement changed recently?

whitehexagon

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2007
I guess if they are putting these chips still into brand new mac models we should be on safe ground. Although I have no way of knowing if I got a refurb or new logic board...

wassabie

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2007
I've had my logic board replaced twice in one month. I'm not sure if they are replacing the logic boards with a refurbish one or not. Replacing the same logic boards with the same faulty design is just bad practice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.