Very happy with new MBP, but somewhat stumped..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by harodude, Jun 9, 2009.

  1. harodude macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 7, 2007
    #1
    Just wanted to get your opinion on something...

    I recently went through a few repairs with Applecare, and they finally agreed to replace my 15" SR 2.2 MBP with a BRAND new 17" uni... I was very surprised that they offered such a large upgrade to me! They also gave me the option to pay $300 for the 2.93, which I took..

    Anyways, this was all early last week, and the order stood still for about 5 days. Finally prepared for shipment on saturday, and received this morning early.

    There really isn't much that I can complain about, but I lost out on the faster HDD that comes with the new rev. and also the $300 that I payed to upgrade, now comes almost standard.

    Do you think I should try and recoup the $300 that I payed to upgrade, but then sorta lost out on... It just feels weird asking for this, when they already upgraded me so immensely! This computer works just as it should, and fulfills any requirements I have or ever want, but it just sucks paying for something that is now negligible.

    Man I wish they would have let me wait to process the replacement!

    Ideas!?!
     
  2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

    Abstract

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Location Location Location
    #2
    It's a tough position to be put into. :eek:


    Sorry, but there's no right answer to this. Personally, I think you're entitled to the $300 back for the upgrade. However, if I was in your shoes, I wouldn't ask for the money back, even if I felt like I'd be eligible to.
     
  3. Coolmatt49 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2008
    #3
    Dude, they gave you a 17" MacBook Pro Unibody instead of a similar spec 15" Refurbished MacBook Pro (maybe even non-unibody). I wouldn't say a word lol.
     
  4. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2008
    Location:
    Boulder, Colorado
    #4
    +1 on this. Don't risk getting it taken away (jk)

    On a more serious note, take it for what it is. You got damn lucky.
     
  5. QuietFun macrumors regular

    QuietFun

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2008
    Location:
    Meridian, Miss.
    #5
    Maybe thats why they went ahead and gave you a 17" because the new what was to come.. either way or reason I'd look at the $300 as an investment..
     
  6. harodude thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 7, 2007
    #6
    I am more than happy with the machine! Actually, this is just one of 2 15" Macbook pros that are being replaced with 17" uni's...

    I have to make the decision to upgrade CPU or not on the other one. As it stands now, they have configured it with 2.8/500.7200/Matte/dual link adapter...

    Thanks for replys thus far!
     
  7. Coolmatt49 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2008
    #7
    :eek: You are so lucky. But, did you pay $300 for the 2.8 Ghz to 2.93 Ghz difference on the other one? If you did, don't do it for this one, that kind of difference is HARDLY noticeable especially for the price.

    If it is from 2.8 Ghz to the 3.06 Ghz (as stated on Apple's site right now), it's up to you. If you need the performance increase and want to spend another $300, go ahead and do it. In my opinion, I wouldn't do it because such a difference wouldn't mean squat to me. It may give you better performance but at $300 the price is a bit much for such a small difference.
     
  8. harodude thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 7, 2007
    #8
    Just to clarify...

    The first replacement was with paid upgrade from 2.66 to 2.93... At the time " last Tuesday", that deal sounded great right!?!
    Then, the new ones are announced yesterday, with the 2.8 as the baseline, when I just payed $300 for .13 ghz diff. and it is negligible now...


    Now on the 2nd replacement, the $300 would be from 2.8 to 3.06. I am trying to convince them to just do it for free for me on the 2nd, since I already kinda payed for an upgrade, and kinda received one...!

    It's just difficult trying to ask so much, when they are already hookin me up!
     
  9. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

    michael.lauden

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2008
    #9
    there are a couple of threads like these every month or so... and every time i say how you can let things like that just happen. idk. i mean i guess it's a nice thing to happen and lucky. but i'd feel wrong not letting anyone know
     
  10. queshy macrumors 68040

    queshy

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2005
    #10
    Hmm, well you know WWDC was coming, anyway.

    There are 2 ways to look at this:

    1) You got an insane upgrade that is definitely more fair for you than for Apple. They could have given you a non-unibody refurb. Also, they weren't GOING to charge you 300$ for the new machine - you opted for it. The rep didn't know there were new machines coming, either.

    2) You could make an argument that you paid them $300 but you shouldn't have had to, because it's now standard on the new model.

    Either way, you're in a pretty good situation.
     
  11. harodude thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 7, 2007
    #11
    was kinda hoping too, that they may have built the first replacement with some of the newer components, as it was "not yet shipped" up until Saturday afternoon. If that were the magical case, I would have one of the first 3.06 17"s!

    I will see what can be done when their call center is open tomorrow
     
  12. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2008
    Location:
    Deployed atm
  13. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #13
    Think of it as future-proofing and be happy with it.
     

Share This Page