Very hard decision. Involving Mac Vs. Windows

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jake.f, Sep 4, 2008.

1. jake.f macrumors 6502

Hey
    This is my first post here.
    Anyway, our PC got a major trojan today and wis in for repairs. My dad told me that the person who fixed it can build me a PC for $300.
    The specs are:
    1.8 GHz Dual core processor
    2 GB ddr2 RAM
    Gigabyte Mainboard
    ATX Casing
    160 GB serial ATA HDD
    DVD Burner
    Plus lots of free software.

I want to save up and get a Mac of some sort though. I prefer them much more over windows. However to save up with my current job and get a base model Macbook it would put my back account balance at $0 right when im leaving year 12 (not good timing).

I have a question though,
    how hard is it to dual boot XP and Leopard? I have heard of boot managers or something? I would like it if i could easily boot leopard as i would use it most of the time. Any opinions of this? Will leopard function fully also how hard is it to do.

If its crazy to dual boot them then i dont know what to do!

Help please,
    Jake.

2. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

that's about what i'd pay for that spec

minus the "free software" whatever that means. I hate to be a granddad about it but you must purchase the software properly and own the disks.

EDIT - what about buying a mac mini? you can pick one up for ~$300 i think

3. mufflon macrumors 6502

If you intend to boot up mac os x on the hardware you just quoted it will be quite difficult; apple has explicitly written in their EULA that you may not install mac os x on any other cmputer than an apple.. .. this haven't stopped people from doing it, but it involves software hacking and (as far as I can understand) matching the apple hardware quite well piece by piece - there are quite a few forums discussing this in quite detail, so I would advise on good old google to give you a hand.
    Might be worth mentioning that the "apple experience" relies on apple knowing its hardware, it's limits and strengths compared with a generic windows box and as some kind of software hacking is involved the experience might be acceptable, but on the other hand it might not.

On a real mac the experience is quite nice though, 10.5 comes with bootcamp which handles every part of the configuration and as microsoft windows is designed for generic computers there shouldn't be any real problem.

Best advice when it comes to getting a new computer would be to search for somwhat used macs, which have a decent price point with the relevant software, or for that matter a new computer from dell or somesuch (dell in particular usually have nice special offers on some computers from time to time which would be worth checking out)

4. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I second that notion. It's the mac for those on budget. I'm sure you can pick up a good monitor for a cheap price. That way you'd get a guarantee on your computer as well.

5. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

Good call!

Don't forget putting OSX on a PC is illegal. Although putting XP on mac is fairly easy going.