Very high fan speed after installing 10.9

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by ab2013, Oct 22, 2013.

1. ab2013 macrumors member

I have a 2011 MBA i5 and upgraded from 10.7.5 to 10.9.

Usually, at rest, my MBA's fans run around 2000 rpm at about 60C. For the past hour, my MBA's fans have been running around 5000 rpm at about 65-70C, with the occasional spike to 90C, which causes the fans to spike up to 6500+ rpm. (Note that Mail isn't a problem) The new battery utility says that the highest consumers of energy are Mail, Chrome, and Spotlight (though I'm not currenlty using this last program).

Why is it running warmer and why is the fan RPM so high? It's so loud that it's becoming distracting. I haven't had the issues with fans since the early builds of Lion (say, before 10.7.2)

2. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

I'm having the same issue with zero application running.

3. MacInTheCrack macrumors member

4. Thescoot macrumors newbie

Same Here....

Will try reseting the SMC....whatever that means

5. Thescoot macrumors newbie

Didn't help

Reset the SMC and the fan still runs constantly

6. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

Resetting SMC also does not resolve this issue on mine.

7. Raunien macrumors 6502

One possibility is that your machine is still indexing the files on your harddrive which is why spotlight is running. If it's been only an hour, I wouldn't worry too much. If it continues to do that after a couple of hours, then it might be worth it to take another look.

8. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

If you did a replace update rather than clean install spotlight will index all your files which is taxing to your system... Just let it finish and to be sure do a PRAm, SMC reset check permission verify and fix permission.

9. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

Mine is no longer giving this problem. It must be due to the indexing being completed. :)

10. ab2013 thread starter macrumors member

Wanted to give an update. The high CPU was due to 2 reasons: (1) Spotlight indexing was still occurring in the background. Had to run a sudo command to disable it. (2) Mail v2 was reindexing.

Right now it seems to run faster and perhaps even a bit cooler than in 10.7.5.

11. ZaphodB, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

ZaphodB macrumors newbie

Same here...

Update: Not sure how, but started to flip the iStat sensor settings and now Exhaust fan is working fine. Perhaps a coincident or (just like some folks stated above) some hidden process has ended.

----------------------------------------------------------------

...tried several described resolutions:
    • Did the SMC reset
    • No heavy CPU processes seem to be running (CPU < 2% utilized)
    • Temperature around 45C (CPU Core according to iStat)

How can I verify that Spotlight is not running - it would show up in "Activity Monitor", right?

Can Mavericks mess up the Exhaust management settings - i.e. the high threshold?

Anybody tried the PRAM reset - did that work?

It's been about 24hrs and fan is blasting at 6200 RPMs.