Very high page in/out ratio MB C2D

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Alistair1990, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Alistair1990 macrumors member

Alistair1990

Evening all,

In the last few days I have noticed a very high page in / out ratio with my MacBook 2.0 (1GB ram, about 5 months old). Currently it is at:

Page In: 54,000
    Page Out: 227,000

This is after a day of browsing and playing music, nothing too taxing. I can watch the istat widget and see the page out figure increase every few seconds while I have no applications open - surely this is not normal? As I'm typing this the machine seems slow when simply selecting a song in iTunes. I should also mention that the HDD is not full and has about 15Gb free.

Please help
    Thanks,

Alistair

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

If it makes you feel any better I have literally millions of page in/outs. :eek: (I need RAM, desperately) <- you may need a bit more too.

Have you opened activity monitor and looked at what's running?

3. Alistair1990 thread starter macrumors member

Alistair1990

Thanks for the reply and I must say I havent quiet reached millions yet. Just looked now and all thats running is Safari, iTunes and my widgets, nothing too out of the ordinary...
    Quick update, I now have 120,000 in and 800,000 out after doing pretty much nothing, it just keeps going up, didn't used to be this bad.

Alistair

4. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

How often do you restart? 1 gig of RAM should be enough, that's too bad that it eats so much. I have 2gb and it only pages out when I'm running iPhoto or photoshop.

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

did you check "all processes"? Any of the running processes taking up a good bunch of memory? Any of the widgets going nutty? (some of them are pretty greedy with the memory)

I usually page in/out massively with photoshop and iPhoto and typical memory hogs running. It doesn't sound like you're doing much heavy work on there so it does seem strange.

(good question above, how often do you restart?)

6. Alistair1990 thread starter macrumors member

Alistair1990

I didn't use to restart that often at all - I have the laptop hooked up to an LCD so have it plugged in and asleep when I'm not using it. However since the page in/outs have become so high (in the last few days), I restart once or twice a day, this solves the slowness but then after an hour or so of very light use the page in/outs build up again.

I was wanting to upgrade to 2Gb ram soon anyway but would like to know why I'm having problems as with even 1Gb this shouldn't be happening.

Alistair

7. Alistair1990 thread starter macrumors member

Alistair1990

See above...I posted just before you...

EDIT, just looked at 'All Processes' and there is a 'kernel task' using 103 Mb real memory and 987 virtual memory.
    What's this kernel task?

8. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Safari beta? It seems to have massive memory leaks (after all, it is a beta).

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Yeah, that doesn't sound quite right. (2 restarts a day? crikey!) Not sure what the culprit is but this definitely doesn't sound normal.

edit: not sure what the kernel task is but I have it running too and it's hogging up a hunk as well. I don't think it's anything suspicious however, probably just an OS function of some sort. I'm afraid that goes a bit above my knowledge level. :eek:

10. Alistair1990 thread starter macrumors member

Alistair1990

Yea,tell me about... any idea what that kernel task is? And yes to the other question (sorry didn't see your name) I am running the Safari beta but having been doing since it's launch without problems.
    A quick up date and although the page in/outs remain high, the system seems to be operating at the usual speed, i.e. with no hold up at all, strange....

EDIT, thanks for the reply re: kernel task, no idea what it is either.

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

An old favourite to try just in case, repair permissions? I've had it solve problems which seemed totally unlikely to be solved by it. Can't hurt to try it.

Applications >Utilities > Disk Utility > (select your HD) > repair disk permissions

12. Alistair1990 thread starter macrumors member

Alistair1990

Yeh, why not! I'll give that a go and see what happens
    Fingers crossed...

Alistair.

13. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Safari (any version) has memory leaks that will eat away hundreds of megs of RAM after it is open for a while (maybe 3+ hours). Widgets and Dashboard eat up a Ton! of memory and over time they eat up more and more RAM without giving them back. iTunes coverflow uses a bunch of memory, so if you've been using the coverflow view or that 2nd album view then you will have a lot of memory gone.

I really recommend upgrading your memory to 2gb regardless of what your current situation is now. Eventually in the future you will need to do this and the sooner the better is what I say.

14. Alistair1990 thread starter macrumors member

Alistair1990

Spot on, I had had Safari open all day, iTunes on coverflow quite a lot as I often do when using two displays, and dashboard had been on in the background for quite a while as well - lesson learned and that 2GB upgrade will be here soon. Thanks for everyone's comments!

Alistair