Very hot MBP adaptor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hkriffraff, Apr 15, 2007.

1. hkriffraff macrumors regular

I had my MBP adaptor replaced a month ago after the cable under the magsafe plug melted. I've noticed that the plastic body of the new adaptor gets very hot to the touch after some time. I've never paid close attention to this before. How hot can it get before I need to worry about safety?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Call Apple. They will tall you what to expect and whether there is a problem. In the meantime, don't leave the thing on papers, carpet, under pillows, or suchlike.

3. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

I had mine replace because of melting as well. My adapter gets fairly warm as well I wouldn't say super hot but yes it is fairly warm/hot. I would call Apple as Canada RAM has said, they will be able to tell you if you need a replacement/repair.

4. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

I was just about to post a thread on this right now!!!!
    While my current MBP adapter never gets as hot as my Titanium (which I couldn't hold. I returned it to Apple and had them also look at my Ti to see if it damaged anyting. Apple exchanged the A/C and the Ti still works), this one also gets hot, with no consistent cause. Some possible culprits: resting the A/C on a carpet; resting the A/C on a high gloss wood floor; battery status; type and number of applications being used; age of electrical wiring in outlet.