Very important about 2.1 firmware

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by surfer13, Sep 12, 2008.

1. surfer13 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I have updated both my ipod touches too 2.1 the other day,both batteries were fully charged. A few hours later the battiers were dead. Theres a post already about this issue http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1704094&tstart=15 seeming to plague other ipod touch users too. As an iphone user I am skeptical of updating my iphone because I do not want a battery issue with my iphone either. I thought I would let yall know about this issue.

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Didnt SJ said its going to increase the battery life.....:confused:

3. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I think i it was a serious issue, there would be a lot more than just six replies.

4. surfer13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont think alot of people has notice it yet,I just re-download the firmware,restored both of my ipod touches,I restored one on my mac,the other on my windows pc. So ill see if the issue persist.

5. synagence macrumors 6502a

I hate to say it but i have the same problem.

I thought it was just me but ipod touch with a restore for 2.1 and the battery seems to drop quick.

6. Cyclone Chris macrumors regular

WOW... I also thought I left my ipod running during the day, but that wasn't the case.

I had my iPod Touch fully charged, and the next day when I got to the gym, I had a 20% alert on it. It had to be the firmware. This better get fixed very soon.

7. propropro macrumors regular

Fantastic!
    Will iPhone and Touch get worse and worse after every update?? It seems they will!

8. pittster macrumors regular

this just gets better and better - and i thought 2.0.2 sucked on the iPhone!

9. surfer13 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea,so are you guys going to update your iphones? Or wait it out to see if the iphone will be plague by the same problem.

10. pittster macrumors regular

until i read this i would have done it today.
    I'm going to wait a week or so.
    glad i held on to my 1st Gen iPhone with 1.1.4 on it, just in case :(

11. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

n = 8 or so currently. I'd imagine anyone actually waiting till Sunday evening to update there iPhone should know.

12. alFR macrumors 68020

I don't think 8 people out of the millions of touch owners worldwide constitutes a "plague" yet. Maybe it will eventually, more likely it's an isolated issue.

13. TheBearman macrumors 6502

Don't know about being plague, but make that 9.

14. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

What?! For me it's com-puh-leeeeetely the other way around.

My iPod Touch checks the mail every 15 minutes, during the night as well (when it's not charging), and in the morning it's usually down to 50-60% charge. But after installing 2.1 it can go all night and show full charge in the morning. I'm seeing nothing but a big fat improvement in battery life here...

Keep in mind that the battery indicator and the actual battery life are two different things. It needs to be recalibrated once a month or so (I did it after installing 2.1).

15. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Same here. Fairly impressive battery gains in addition to the faster UI, app installs, and stability.

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I installed 2.0 when it first came out and the battery was draining within a day. The solution was the turn off "Location Services" in the settings. I haven't had any problems with 2.1, but take a look and see whether that setting has any effect for you.

17. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Yeah, I always keep Location Services off on iPod Touch. That whole hotspot triangulation thing doesn't work in my neighborhood anyway.

18. surfer13 thread starter macrumors newbie

well once i saw the battery draining i turned everything off, wifi,location services, email everything. And the battery still ran down.

19. bit_bucket macrumors regular

bit_bucket

Questtion for those having the issues, did you do a full restore, or did you just update. Also have any of you calibrated the battery?

20. surfer13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I updated,but I just did a full restore so im going to see if that helps.

21. s55lear macrumors newbie

Where?

Where are you guys getting 2.1? It's not on apple's website and when I plug my iPhone in it says 2.0.2 is the current version.

22. surfer13 thread starter macrumors newbie

its not the iphone,its the 2.1 for the ipod touch. But were worried that the same issue is going to be on the iphone too.

23. s55lear macrumors newbie

24. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

It was released for iPod Touch immediately after Apple's keynote on September 9. For some reason it's not being released for iPhone until today, perhaps to distribute server load better, or maybe it simply wasn't ready.

25. surfer13 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea,so hopefully this wont affect the iphone version.