Very important, need help: Can I use PayPal receipt to get AppleCare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dragonjinse, Jul 10, 2013.

1. dragonjinse macrumors 6502

I am about to buy a new, opened box macbook pro retina from ebay. The seller told me that it's a month old, and still under 1 year limited warranty.

I planned to buy applecare later. Seller told me i could use the paypal receipt as a proof for purchase when i buy an applecare.

Is it right? Can i do it?

P.S. i talked with apple on online chat. They said, i cant use the receipt that is not from authorized reseller to purchase the applecare.
    IM SO CONFUSED!

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I would go with what Apple tell you, get the original receipt from the seller.

3. dragonjinse thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, the seller doesnt have the original receipt anymore... So should i still buy macbook pro from ebay?

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

ask him for the serial number and check when it was purchased.

5. dragonjinse thread starter macrumors 6502

I checked the warranty status on apple website. Surprisingly, it doesnt show any list of warranty at all. It asks me to login to get the info instead. I know it's valid serial number (the seller took the picture of the box)

The seller told me, the machine is brand new, never used. Therefore, i need to register the machine to get the warranty. Does this sound right?

6. Ifti macrumors 68000

You do NOT need to register the machine to get warranty.

Enter the serial number here and it should tell you the warranty status:
    https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

For example, I just purchased my new MBA.
    I could see warranty info even before I had even received the unit - it was still being shipped and the serial is on the invoice, so I could check it via the above link perfectly fine. Hence you do NOT need to register it etc to see warranty info.
    If I lose the invoice, I can log into Apple online, view my previous orders, and just print off another copy of the invoice. Easy.

If he is the first and only owner, you can get the registered owner status transferred to yourself, but still need the original invoice. He can get the original invoice by logging into his Apple account in the Apple store, and will be able to see all his past order history etc, and he will be able to print off an invoice from there as well.

If its all legit, there should be no problem getting the invoice via the Apple website as stated above. I can view all my invoices in this way easily.

7. dragonjinse thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you!!
    That's exactly what i thought..
    It's confusing me becuase it's not only 1 buyer said i need to register first (on itune) to get a 1 year warranty. Actually, they are 3 of them told me about it.

8. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Why are you confused? Apple told you that you cannot get AppleCare without an original receipt from an authorized reseller. This guy is not an authorized reseller, and he does not have an original receipt.

There is nothing to be confused about... you cannot get Applecare.

/Jim

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You do not need to do anything with iTunes to register a Mac. Sounds like this guys are trying to scam you, to be honest.

10. Ifti macrumors 68000

I agree - either he's trying to scam you, or he's just selling his machine and hoping you'd be happy enough after seeing it that you wont be so concerned about the Applecare!

11. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

Are you sure about that? I bought a Thunderbolt Display last week and when I did the online serial check, it asked me for more details as it wasn't registered. Meaning I was the first owner. After providing more details I registered it.

12. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

why bump a thread from 9 months ago :confused:

13. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Actually this is really good information. I often purchase broken Apple products from pawn shops. Being able to check the serials for AppleCare has been important for me. I learned about it on this site.

14. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

because I can?