Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaLurker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
A little background:

I've had this Sony Digital Camcorder for about 4 years now and I always found that when using the Pixela software bundled with the camcorder on Windows, it would crash on capturing to the computer after about 10 minutes. This frustrated me to no end but eventually I gave up finding a solution. Sony provided terrible support on drivers and the software application didn't work.

Fast forward to today when I found out iMovie should work with my camcorder. I hopped out to the nearest computer store, picked up a $10 4pin-6pin Firewire cable, followed the simple instructions on iMovie and voila, my camcorder is working perfectly with iMovie.

Now its just a matter of pulling out my half dozen tapes and recording all of them onto my MBP.

I'm very impressed with how easy it was to connect my camcorder and how flawlessly iMovie works with with. Kudos Apple!

Now I just have to start editing my clips and creating movies. I'm open to any suggestions on how to manage clips, or tips and tricks as well as any warnings!

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
A little background:

I've had this Sony Digital Camcorder for about 4 years now and I always found that when using the Pixela software bundled with the camcorder on Windows, it would crash on capturing to the computer after about 10 minutes. This frustrated me to no end but eventually I gave up finding a solution. Sony provided terrible support on drivers and the software application didn't work.

Fast forward to today when I found out iMovie should work with my camcorder. I hopped out to the nearest computer store, picked up a $10 4pin-6pin Firewire cable, followed the simple instructions on iMovie and voila, my camcorder is working perfectly with iMovie.

Now its just a matter of pulling out my half dozen tapes and recording all of them onto my MBP.

I'm very impressed with how easy it was to connect my camcorder and how flawlessly iMovie works with with. Kudos Apple!

Now I just have to start editing my clips and creating movies. I'm open to any suggestions on how to manage clips, or tips and tricks as well as any warnings!

One note of warning: don't empty the iMovie trash until you're done with your project. Doing so could give you some nasty surprises when you try to modify transitions, titles, and other added effects. This is especially true of stills imported from iPhoto.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Yeh, iMovie really is a great piece of software. In fact, iLife is actually one of the best software packages out there IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.