VERY IRRITATING dictionary thing keeps popping up

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by jdaniel, Jul 21, 2015.

1. jdaniel macrumors 65816

whenever i leave my cursor on something it keeps popping up and highlights stuff in yellow and stupid box with the meaning will pop up i have googled but i still have no idea what the heck it is and how to stop it... there do not seem to be settings I can change in dictionary app WHAT IS IT ????

2. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sounds like maybe you have installed some adware/malware that is doing that.

Try running the app MalWareBytes to remove the malware.

4. Significant1 macrumors 6502

It sound like Dictionary. On my machine it pops up, if I double tap with three fingers on a word.

5. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

Im not tapping **** lol I am using an external mouse which is not apple and whe the cursor hovers over anything .. pop ups come on NON STOP.. sometimes I cannot even type in peace.. and then it goes away..

I tried looking for malware and theres nothing... I even deleted dictionary app and it still happening.. I cannot find any add ons in chrome or firefox to explain this...

6. Significant1 macrumors 6502

Maybe you have better touch tool or similar which trigger it.

Trackpad activation can be disabled by unchecking point & click->look up in trackpad settings.

There is also a cmd+ctrl+d keyboard shortcut, which can activate it. It can be disabled by this terminal command:
    defaults write com.apple.symbolichotkeys AppleSymbolicHotKeys -dict-add 70 '<dict><key>enabled</key><false/></dict>'

7. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks I shall try that and see what happens.