Very large Powerpoint files: any solution for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ebonweaver, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Ebonweaver macrumors newbie

I have tested this across every G4, G5, and intel system we have in the department, and I see indications from many threads that I'm dead on with my findings. Office on the Mac is much slower than on windows, and Powerpoint is the worst of the lot. Large files (especially say 300+ slides) can't even open on the Mac version of Powerpoint, but pop right up on windows, even on the same machine booted to the other OS. I've also seen that Office X under 10.3 on the same system WILL open the file, but it dies in color wheel under 10.4 and Office 2004. This tells me the software has gotten worse with age, and it's not just Office, because Office X under 10.4 is slower than under 10.3 on the same machine.

Ok, so, both apple and MS have been making things run slower where PP is concerned, tested and proven. The question now is, what is the fix if any? I have one user that rails against this problem while everyone else deals with the limitation and keeps slideshows to 50 or less. This one user though refuses to learn another application like Keynote or Open Office or whatever, partly because of what he's used to, partly because of compatibility. While I can pray that the issue is fixed in office 2008, I'm having a heck of a time continuing to stall until it's release. I can't find any indication that there is any fix for this situation though, it seems PP for Mac is just broken.

Anyone have any advice I've missed?

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I ran into that problem when I was updating hugh specs for work. I couldn't handle being at the office anymore so sat at a coffee shop and tried working on it in powerpoint. I tried using Neo-Office which worked a lot better, there maybe some issues with spacing, headers and some fonts, but my issues were minimal.