Very Little Closed Captioning / inconsistent content

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by applehappy, Mar 2, 2008.

1. applehappy macrumors regular

Apple is killing me with the lack of closed captioning. Since Take 2 came out, there isn't 1000 movies in the store and less than 100 HD movies. What really burns me is the lack of CC (Closed Captioning). I mean a few random movies in the library have it, but what is going on with :apple:? Every DVD on the market has CC and there seems to be major problems getting the content in the library CONSISTENT! I love renting movies this way, but my wife requires CC and can't deal with this. Very frustrating for me. Apple, your movie ripping team needs help.

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

To be honest, iTunes' movies rental/purchase has sucked so far for a variety of reasons.

Netflix for the win.

3. pjac macrumors regular

Not having got an Apple TV yet, can you tell before hand if the film has CC? More generally, in addition to renting, what about when buying movies or TV shows?

It must be really annoying if you have to buy/rent it to find out - you should get in touch with Apple's Customer Services if this is the case. Firstly you should get back the rental fee for those films your wife didn't get to enjoy, and secondly it would raise the profile of the problem with Apple.

[I care from the point of view of wanting to watch foreign films with subtitles/closed captions, and also my other half isn't a native English speaker and English subtitles/closed captions are very useful for her]

4. applehappy thread starter macrumors regular

You can tell if CC is available under the description of the movie/tv show there are icons indicating dolby, widescreen, and CC.
    I'm a huge fan of :apple:TV, I just don't get this. Seems to me to be against the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). I mean come on, I can tune up the Food Channel and have Closed Captioning on the screen! I just hope :apple: gets it together. CC is a big deal for lots of people. I don't think having to sift through the library to find what has CC is a pleasurable experience.

5. pjac macrumors regular

If a movie/TV show does have CC, how do you display them? Is there an option in the Apple TV software, or do you need your TV (or a 3rd party captioning box) to do it?

Related to this, if you watch the show on your computer or iPod, can you get the captions on screen?

[These may be obvious to you, but in the UK we don't use CC but other technologies: e.g. subtitles on DVD, page 888 teletext on analogue TV]

6. applehappy thread starter macrumors regular

If the content has CC, the option to display it is listed under Settings > Video > Closed Captioning. Don't ask me why it was put under video. The rest of the world would call this an audio option. Still seeing most new content without CC though. My wife and I have found a few movies that have CC though and the :apple:TV has a great way of displaying the text. Sort of bubble text.