Very little noise about the future

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SamVilde, Feb 11, 2014.

1. SamVilde macrumors regular

SamVilde

My heavily-used 2008 macbook has suddenly gotten (a) unusably full and (b) frustratingly slow. I can hold off until June if there's going to be an update. I could probably hold off until the fall if there was going to be an *incredible* update. I do not have enough money to buy a short-term fix.

I just wish there was more of an idea of what I'm waiting for, and when we might learn about it. Really. So many updates about finding a kleenex Steve Jobs once used, so many updates about Tim Cook promising that Apple isn't sinking all its resources into cloning Steve Jobs because without him, they got nothing, so many updates about a phone that is inevitable in October, about a watch that no one wants.

Does that mean there is no plan for an update?

2. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

My guess is just a spec update this year. Who knows though.

3. simsaladimbamba

That is what you getting from the absence of news or rumours? It has almost always been like that.
    Maybe there will be a speed bump in the coming months, the next "major" upgrade to Broadwell is not expected before Q3 2014, maybe even later, and it will include a faster CPU, better battery life, a better GPU and probably a bit more standard storage.

4. Laco macrumors 6502

Buy one of the most recent retina models refurbished. Waiting nearly a year is VERY long. That's just my opinion of course.

5. yinz macrumors 6502a

What about installing Lubuntu and prolonging the life of your Mac with a new OS. I guess this is not as much of an option for people who love OSX, but it is an option for those who want to extend the life of their MacBook without forking out any money.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Why don't you delete some stuff from your hard drive? Should also help with the performance.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Of course not, it just means they're not communicating their plans to us in advance of the release, which of course they never did anyways.

I'd say try to clean up your 2008 MBP and wait about 7 months to see what apple does with the Broadwell chipset.

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

9. SamVilde thread starter macrumors regular

SamVilde

Thanks, thundersteele. That's a good idea. Hoping the battery holds out too.

For the haters, yeah, we know Apple doesn't announce their production plans very far in advance, which is why people like me who are looking for insight for the future look on rumors sites to try to hedge our bets the best we can.

Thanks.

10. psik macrumors 6502

Macbook pros are refreshed in fall not summer. I strongly believe that Broadwell will come to the pro in Octoberish and to the Air in summer late June. I also believe that Broadwell is worth the wait.

11. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Debatable. The mid-2009 models came out in June. Recently it's been fall, but summer isn't out of the question. But it will depend on Broadwell.

12. psik macrumors 6502

Never mind, just saw that in last 24 hours news about them changing Broadwell availability to q4 although this does not make sense with respect to what intels management said that it is on schedule, see this article from today :
    http://m.seekingalpha.com/article/2014501

13. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Sandy Bridge upgrades arrived in spring. Apple more or less follows Intels schedule, with a few delays sometimes...

14. psik macrumors 6502

Yeah you are right.. Sorry I though Intel was on schedule.. I thought that this delay thing was resolved based on Intel's recent statement in January, but a more recent news says the delay is here to stay...

15. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Without looking up dates, to the best of my memory Apple has been pretty reliable with 8-month update periods on MBPs. A new model every 16 months; a refresh to that model with new CPU speeds and tweaked pricing halfway through that cycle.

Since that puts the next update at June, and nVidia Maxwell, Intel Broadwell, and DDR4 are all a few months past that at least, I would say we're about a year away from the next significant update to the MBP line.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The issue with Apple is Broadwell is purportedly delayed until 4Q so that will impact when Apple updates its MBP line.

17. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Exactly. The MacBook Pros are just notebooks and they can only really get significant upgrades when the hardware is available. It doesn't matter when Apple usually updates, it matters when Intel starts shipping chips in a big quantity.
    In all the industry roadmaps and shipping estimates are usually very optimistic. If Intel says Q4, it isn't going to hit any sooner. There is also a delay in when there are enough chips shipped for Apple to role out their product line. They are a big player and need to wait until they have enough chips, especailly since unlike other companies they don't gradually replace old models while keep selling the old in some markets.
    There will not be a new generation in 7 months.

There might be a 15" refresh with new dGPUs but the same Haswell CPUs. Other than that there is only the usual small 100Mhz clock bump that should show up around now if it hasn't already, I didn't check the website.

18. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Broadwell is the next "amazing" innovation. Look at the intel roadmap. But be forwarned, apple took a good 4+ months between the first releases of Haswell, and for it to be anything other than the MBA.

I would honestly say that any significant update is into the 4th quarter at the earliest. Broadwell delays make me think that apple will be forced to go with another Haswell update.

If I were in your position, I would look for the best deal on a refurb, that matches your needs, from the apple store.

My wife is using my old 15" c2d MBP, and has recently complained about performance. Rather than buying her something new, since she really only does web, word, and preciously little else, I am going to install an SSD instead.