Very little or no Apple Store stock on launch day?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xanadeath, Sep 14, 2016.

1. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/14/apple-iphone-7-reservation-iphone-upgrade-program-stock-walk-ins/

It looks like there may be almost no iPhone 7 units available for walk in because of the iPhone upgrade program and in store reservations. I sure hope this isn't the case. Anyone have thoughts or alternative plans for getting their hands on a shiny new iPhone?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2016 ---
    Just noticed also that on the Apple Store website where it used to show the pickup option as go to the store on the 16th it now just says currently unavailable. I've also seen a couple posts on forums from people who say they've spoken with their local Apple Store and heard there won't be any stock at all for walk in customers.

2. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

I'm actually glad to hear that. For years a lot of people who got up in the middle of the night to preorder would get screwed because apple held back phones for stores rather than allocating them to customers willing to get up and order.... I never liked that people who got up and didn't get release day had to wait a week or two or three for their phones even though there was stock to sell to someone who walked into the store on release day/weekend....

3. powerocool macrumors 6502

powerocool

I think what happened was that Apple forgot to put aside stock for iUP people, or wanted them to fight for the same walk-in stock. Once they complained, they gave all the walk-in stocks to iUP.

4. xanadeath thread starter macrumors 6502

xanadeath

Yah that is totally what sounds like happened. I'm kinda sad - I usually enjoy the experience of waiting in line at the Apple Store. I'm going to call my local store when they open today and see what they say (if anything) regarding walk in launch day availability.

5. xRYD3Rx macrumors 6502

Please let us know what they say. Im also planning on going go line up at my local Apple Store.

6. Vell843, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016

Vell843 macrumors regular

Vell843

What about trying your local carrier store instead of the Apple Store? the closet Apple Store to me is three hours away so the Apple Store is not an option for me. I am going to my local VZW store at like 4 am and hoping to be first in line to get a matte/regular black 32 GB, 7.

7. Vc22 macrumors newbie

Tried calling local store but it says they are not answering calls. Let me know what you find out.

8. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I'm pretty sure I just read a thread like this...

I went to my Apple Store twice this week already. I was instructed that the store would open at 8AM and that the earliest the mall would allow us in would be 5AM. If there were no stock for walk-in's, I'm pretty sure she would have told me.

No stock (aside from Jet Black)? Doubtful.
    Limited stock? Probably.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

They had stock set aside for the iUP but obviously not enough, so they re-allocated it to the iUP program. That makes sense. A bunch of slots opened up this week. They are mostly gone now but I'm guessing they will open back up on 9/17. Apple has said they will prioritize the iUP program.

10. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I'm not a part of the IUP, but this was definitely the right thing to do.

11. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

It's kind of a weird thing. Reward those in the upgrade program by setting aside your stock for them. But at the same time punishing those who choose not to enroll in the program by saying sorry you are sol! Not sure what the answer for that is.

12. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

Seems like it didn't work, since most of us aren't getting our pre-orders until 1-3 weeks or more after release day.

13. nikhilnagaraj24 macrumors member

I have seen your posts in other threads too. Looks like you really dont like people getting phones after lining up on launch day. Here's what I think

You woke up in the middle of the night. Sure. I can see how that can be inconvenient for a lot of people. But you are still sitting in the convenience of your own home.
    But people who lineup at stores also wake up in the night and drive several miles, or take a bus to get to a store OR worse, get to the store the previous day or several days before(at some really busy/popular stores), stay there overnight, sometimes in the cold, not sleep at all, get chased away by mall security (believe me that happens when Malls dont let people camp out the previous night before launch day), not eat (some of them...not all) and I could go on and on. You think they should get screwed because they havent worked as hard as you who just had to wake up early? Really??

I understand the concept of pre-order. You order before, so you should get your fav device before. Agreed 100%. But I think its extremely unfair to wish the others dont get their phones on launch day just coz they didnt pre-order(reason immaterial), even after camping out the whole night.

14. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I doubt she would know. Employees are not told these things.

15. PJM83 macrumors regular

PJM83

Personally I wouldn't get upset if a single store didn't have anything on the shelves until all pre orders are out. It feels strange when people have ordered/payed and wait for weeks and other just walk right in.

16. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

Well, the issue was there was no stock available at preorder time for IUP due to a backend error, there was supposed to be. So now Apple is letting them use the stock they should have had available in the first place.

I still believe there will be stock, just more limited then usual and probably zero JB +'s.

17. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

The manager is a woman. And she's been there for quit a few years, so yes, she knows.

18. pish6969 macrumors regular

You will have no problem getting that even if you aren't first in line. The only thing you have to get there first is if you are looking for + size. I walked in when store opened a couple years ago and got the 6, space grey. There were like 50 people who were there since midnight thur store opening..they only had two 6+. The regular phone they had more than enough

19. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

Just talked to a buddy that worked in the local Apple Store here in Atlanta and he told me even though they don't how many of each they will be getting, the stock for walk ins will be extremely low.

20. TheRaxar macrumors member

When you mean walk-ins thats different then people who have a pre order pick up date of 8AM on the 16th right?

21. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

Yeah if you have a reservation you are good. I'm talking about people who are going cold turkey with no reservation or anything and just to pick up a phone

22. TheRaxar macrumors member

Ah fasho. Cause I pre-ordered a couple but both got a timeframe of 8-8:30. Wanna make sure they don't tell me they're out lol.

23. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

24. Shazamadoo macrumors member

Shazamadoo

Your bringing emotions into a business matter..

People who "preordered" should, and naturally does, have priority over people who did not "preorder" a product. Regardless if u had to poop in a bag, in line, on launch day.. That would defeat the whole purpose of "preordering" and swing the "unfairness" you stated, over to the side of the people who did preordered, no?