Very long boot time (3g) 2hrs+ = Help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by h3nry, Nov 6, 2009.

1. h3nry macrumors member

Looking to seek help from all the macrumors people :p

Been to the apple store today and been told that my iPhone has no issue and it must be the way I am using it or the applications I am using on the phone.

I am seeing the phone over the past month crashing very randomly, crashing in the sense that it freezes and does not respond to any action other than a reboot (hard reset).

When it is powered off a power on is taking on average 2 hrs, even if a power off is selected from both buttons, or the swipe power off using the sleep button.

The genius requested I go home, buy "system" from the app store, at a cost of £1.79 (not a problem) and keep freeing the memory as much as possible from now on. Also that i need to reboot the phone at least once a day and that every iPhone user should do this. New one on me...

So even after erasing everything off the phone and litterally just installing system, and setting my mobile me up, then freeing the memory up using "system" it crashes again... leading me to reboot, this time i was able to use the sleep button to show the "slide to power off" took 5 secs to power off... but....

It has been over 2.5hrs now sat booting up... the apple logo is still showing. I have tried to power off and reboot before this and still it was taking ages, but this time I have left it and i think 2.5 hrs is way to long... :p:D:p

Is it just me or is this a warranty replacement?

Any advice would be great.

N.B. I love all my apple products so please dont think i am flaming about apple, just a bit stuck as I need my phone.

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

3. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

5. h3nry thread starter macrumors member

Yep, tried with 3.1 and 3.1.2.

Also tried using a restore from a couple of backups from various times.

6. h3nry thread starter macrumors member

I was hoping this would resolve it, but tried this on 3.1 and 3.1.2 before going to the apple store as its a fair bit of a drive from home to the store.

Just trying to locate something that might help, or something i can go to store with to help convince them I have a problem that needs fixing or repairing, or just replacing.

Thank you so much for all you input so far guys and gals... any more will be very much appreciated.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Sounds like you might also want to go to another Apple store, because I can't believe what they told you to do about memory and rebooting.

8. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

That's BS from Apple. Try going to another Apple Store for a replacement. There certainly is a problem with your iPhone. As aggie has said, try DFU mode or restoring your iPhone. If all fails, go to the store and look for a genius. They'll help you.

9. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

I agree with rebooting. I reboot my phone sometimes 3/4/5 times a day to make sure things are going smooth.

10. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

That's stupid. You shouldn't have to pay for a third-party application and routinely use it just because the store isn't willing to abide by the normal policy of replacing it.

11. h3nry thread starter macrumors member

Quick update:

Still in booting up screen. Left it on purpose so i can possibly take it into apple and show them. Over 10 hours in booting up...

Just on the phone to see if they can squeeze me in as there are no genius appointments till next week now :(

12. h3nry thread starter macrumors member

Another... quick update:

Been on the phone to apple they have booked me a standby appointment... hopefully all will be sorted then or it will be another wasted 3 hour journey :(