very long empty pages.....cant find why

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by pelsar, May 30, 2009.

1. pelsar macrumors regular

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

A good place to start is with the w3c validator here

It seems that a non closed element is causing your problem. I notice also in your css that you are setting the height for your tables and such, this may also be causing you issues.

3. pelsar thread starter macrumors regular

nope....still not fixed

went to the validator..though it listed several errors, only one was "real"..fixed it and got rid of the height on the tables....

didnt affect anything....other ideas?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It's caused by all of the negative top properties inside the table. It's following the box model.

5. pelsar thread starter macrumors regular

a little more info...

I never heard of the box model.....and checked it out. I've got two tables, left and right but when i removed them....nothing changed.

I have this div called .table2....which seems to be the problem...as it extends beyond the content...yet i cant "raise him up"...

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

If you remove every CSS entry that has top with a negative value, you'll see that the bottom shortens up properly. Doing so also messes with other page elements though. It would take some other CSS modifications to get the right layout.

7. pelsar thread starter macrumors regular

the negative value...curious

i put the negative value since that was "what worked"....what is the basis that caused me to put that negative value in, in the first place..is the base structure wrong.

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The site seems to be gone currently. One of the pros about CSS is also a con at times, and that is it's possible to accomplish the same effect with various techniques. While negative values are valid, I generally recommend staying away from them, especially if they are needed in multiple places. From what I remember about the site it should be doable without using the top property and just use relative positioning and floats. It would probably take me some time to work out specific CSS though.

9. pelsar thread starter macrumors regular

new address....

its a work in progress and changed the address:

http://www.correlix.com/raceteam010609/

i'll start with "relative positioning"....seems i use absolute when i get frustrated when "relative isnt "listening to me....."