Very long log in times

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rontheancient, Jul 14, 2008.

1. rontheancient macrumors regular

Recently, my MBP has been taking a long time to log in/log out, sometimes taking 5-10 minutes to do so in both cases. I dont think its the hard drive since I am currently booted into Vista and everything is fine over here. The problem still lingers after a disk and permissions repair in the Leopard DVD, so I am stumped. There are one or two options that I can take but I am not too sure which one to use:

1, Archive and Install from the Leopard DVD. I know this will preserve most of my settings as well as my apps, but will it fix the problem?

2, Restore from image, I know this will work because I am effectively nuking the partition, but it will take a while after to re-update all the apps and settings.

Any ideas as to what the problem is?

2. kopred macrumors newbie

I have the same problem! it takes like 5+ mins to login which is seriously annoying! Also have issues with the fan constantly running at 6000rpm when i'm just using safari or mail- what gives?? :confused: tried everything and resetting PMU (LINK) seemed to fix it but then next time I reboot it takes ages again!

Heading to apple store on weds- I'll keep you posted...

EDIT: I wiped my drive after backing up on external and before I restored I tested it and didn't solve the long log in problem.

3. rontheancient thread starter macrumors regular

I think I fixed it, it took a 5 min login and a 2 hour permissions repair (not from DVD) to do it though. Also, I have a AFS network client on my MBP and I hear that can also cause some problems with hidden wifi and 802.1x networks when logging in, so I disabled that too.

I think you probably have a bad HD, if you have a Boot Camp partition, try booting into that and see if Windows is also sluggish. If it is, then its a bad HD or logic board probably, if not, then its just Mac OS.

Alternatively, if you have another Mac, Target Disk your MBP and try moving a big file (1-2GB) from your other Mac to a place like users/yourname/desktop on your MBP. If you see some lag or problems during transfer, then its probably your HD.

Almost forgot, try a disk and permissions repair from the install DVD if you havent already.