Very long start-up time..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by i0Nic, Apr 6, 2008.

1. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Hey guys, my macbook first gen takes a really long time to boot up. the grey screen is there for quite a while, and then a blue screen for even longer time before it actually gets to the login screen.

I'm worried if there's a problem, specifically with the hard drive as I had to get that replaced about 8 months ago. I'm concerned that the macbook eventually won't boot up at all.

I leave my macbook on all the time, it doesn't go to sleep mode either just the screen goes off. Am I doing damage to the hard drive or other components?

cheers.

2. vivek198 macrumors newbie

3. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

Haven't timed it but at least 4 or 5 minutes. Maybe longer.

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

that is way too long.....

Have you done simple maintenance on the hard disk - repaired permissions - though it does sound like your replacement disk is failing....

5. donmei macrumors regular

uh oh. You must have caught that virus that installs Vista without your permission.

6. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

Is it not safe to leave your laptop always on? Hm makes me rethink having a laptop as a primary machine. I don't want my hard drive to fail every 10 months or so.

7. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

I leave mine on all the time, I just always put it to sleep if I am going to be away from it for a little bit.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's fine to keep your laptop on, but make sure you don't move it too much or too vigourously when it is powered up.

In the meantime, use Disk Utility to verify and possibly repair the drive.

9. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Why does it not go to sleep ?

Does it go to sleep when you close the lid ?

10. vivek198 macrumors newbie

well 4-5 minutes is quite long, I just would run system diagnostics, and if you have tech tool deluxe, then you might as well run a few checks with that too, also in system profiler see the diagnostics and check the power pane in the profiler and see the battery cycle count; it should be more than 300, however, if everything is fine and the general working of the laptop is fine then.... maybe you wanna take it to an expert at a mac store.

11. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

OP are you running Leopard or Tiger. are there any peripherals attached during startup. I've had similar issues with Leopard when certain peripherals are attached.

12. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Eliminate Desktop clutter then go to System Prefs > Accounts > Login Items and ensure nothing unnecessary is loading.

Download Onyx for MacOSX and run the Complete Automation (Repair Disk/Permissions/Maintenances/etc)

13. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I don't think that will help, as the user is not even getting to the login screen.

OP, I'd suggest also turning off Time Machine (if it is enabled) and seeing if the problem persists.