Very loud chime on Mac Pro 2009

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Since I've reseted PRAM my chime is now very loud. I've lowered internal speaker inside Mac OS X but this does not help. How to fix this ?

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2009
How that?
Mine took exactly the opposite initiative: it suddenly became much louder (didn't do anything special). Any attempt to fix that was to no avail.
I wonder if there'd be a controlled procedure to lower that chime :confused:
Just set to internal speaker volume to much lower.

SadChief

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2010
Montpellier, France
Just set to internal speaker volume to much lower.
That's the point : internal speakers have no output controls.
At one occasion, however, a volume slider was visible for a few seconds with its cursor at its extreme right position, grabbed it quickly and so I could lower it.
But this happened at an one single moment and lasted for a very short time :eek:
Otherwise see attachment.
Very queer. I suspect a problem within 10.8.2.

Attachments

Last edited:

MacAddict2000

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2005
You could also try adjusting the volume from the login window. My Mac Pro (also a 2009) doesn't feed audio through the external speakers until a user has logged in.

I love the startup chime. I purposely adjust the volume on my internal speaker all the way up so I get a nice loud startup chime every time I power on.
I miss the days of PowerPC when the chime was fed through your external speakers.

SadChief

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2010
Montpellier, France
You could also try adjusting the volume from the login window...
I love the startup chime. I purposely adjust the volume on my internal speaker all the way up so I get a nice loud startup chime every time I power on.
I miss the days of PowerPC when the chime was fed through your external speakers.
Thanks a lot for your advice, it worked :)
Me too I'm very fond of the startup chime, but I thought that perhaps it wasn't the first thing for my family to wish hearing every morning at 5 a.m. at full internal speaker power ;)
Now I have the right sound level for my ears - and theirs :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.