Very loud click from HDD coming at times

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by praetorx, Dec 4, 2011.

1. praetorx macrumors regular

I had my late 2011 MBP for just two weeks now and randomly a very (REALLY) loud click comes from the HDD.
    I don't want to take it in to the Apple store because I can change the HDD myself without having to wait days for service.

However, want to know if this is "normal" for the MBPs. Coming from PCs I'd say it's not normal and the HDD is dying but I could be wrong considering a Mac is a totally different bird.

What do you think?

2. praetorx thread starter macrumors regular

Explanations are very pertinent and applicable to any HDD but in my case the click is nowhere close to the one I hear when the heads are parked.
    I can definitely hear them park when putting it too sleep and sometimes when the disk is idling but every now and then it comes when the disk is in use and much much louder.

3. simsaladimbamba

Even if it is not the SMS, you can still go to the Apple Store and have them take a look at it, and if it is a failing HDD, you can get it replaced for free, probably even on the same day, as they should have HDDs lying around.
    And if it does take longer, and you don't mind spending the money, you can still replace the HDD yourself.