Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mineral

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2003
Arkansas
I've had it with this stupid thing. I have a 15" PBook G4, 1.25. I am reformatting the HDD and installing Tiger fresh. Twice now, it has gotten to installing iCal and about 60% through it, the installer stops and makes me restart, saying the installation of the software failed. What is wrong? I didn't pay $2700 over a year ago for this kind of grief, that is why I left PC's behind.

PLEASE HELP ME. Thank you. :mad:

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Sounds like bad RAM. If not, try getting a new copy of Tiger from Apple or your reseller.

Mineral

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2003
Arkansas
Lacero said:
Sounds like bad RAM. If not, try getting a new copy of Tiger from Apple or your reseller.

I just BOUGHT a new copy. Today. It won't install past iCal. What does RAM have to do with it? :confused:

AlephNull

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2005
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Mineral said:
I just BOUGHT a new copy. Today. It won't install past iCal. What does RAM have to do with it? :confused:
Could be a bad DVD of Tiger... is known to happen. I would say its not bad RAM.. OSX generally doesnt even start installing if that is the case, in my experience. You might also try zeroing out your drive or repairing permissions, etc, or using DiskWarrior on it.

Would it be possible to try your copy of Tiger on another mac?

Good luck

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
Been there, done that, and it's probably bad RAM. In my case, a particular zone of the RAM was bad (it was a 512 stick, and it got bad around the half). The info would go into the RAM with no error warnings, but when it got out, it was corrupted after a certain point. An OS X installation caches things in the RAM, and if the RAM is returning bad info, the installation will crash. Try the Hardware Test that comes in the DVD to be sure. And if you need the computer right away, take out the bad stick, and things will go normally from there.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I've seen this occur with DVD installs of Tiger. If your optical drive isn't well aligned or has gotten dirty inside, it may not be tracking the DVD properly. It gets only so far and quits. I would order CD install media from Apple. I'll bet that works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.