Very much excited to receive my Macbook Pro...BUT...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by htchang1987, Mar 11, 2009.

1. htchang1987 macrumors member

After having exchanged for the 15" 2.66 before being able to open up the 2.53 received last week, now I am having my 2.66 in my room. However, now I am confused on what I need to do first to my new laptop before being able to normal operate it.

First question, do I need to charge the battery before I first startup the laptop for certain long period of hours?

Second question, if I need to charge the battery for certain long hours before I can start to use it, how do I do the calibration of the battery and also how to do the screen calibration?

Third question, after doing all those software updates and some of the applications installation, I am planning to install XP via bootcamp. I heard that all the drivers needed for the XP are included in the OS X DVD, is that true? Or I have to install other drivers in order to let XP operates normally?

That's about it before I startup my new laptop. Need helps from you guys. Thank you.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

nah just plug the power in and turn it on, itl sort itself out! just make sure you fully discharge it for the first 10 times or so.

3. htchang1987 thread starter macrumors member

What do you mean by fully discharge it for the first 10 times???

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

use the computer until it goes to sleep/screen goes black. i.e. battery = 0%.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oh and yes the drivers are on the OSX DVD, so nothing to worry about there :)

6. htchang1987 thread starter macrumors member

That means use it without a plug for the first 10 times?

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

haha no no, sorry.. FULLY charge it, then FULLY discharge it. i try to do 10 times at least normally.

8. htchang1987 thread starter macrumors member

So if I do these now:
    Plug the laptop to the magsafe, turn on the computer and do anything including installation of applications and updating, until the charging state is 100% (is that possible?), then, unplug the magsafe and continue with anything until the the battery totally drains off and forced to sleep, then plug it up again until it's charging state is again 100% (is that possible, again?), then the battery is considered calibrated?

Sorry if I sound like a noob.

9. johndoe588 macrumors regular

Others will have more details but this will get you started.

You don't need to charge the battery fully before you start to use it. Mine had some charge out of the box. Charge it as you're using it. You calibrate the battery by charging it fully, letting it stay at for full charge for a couple of hours, then unplugging it and using it till it goes to sleep, past any low battery warnings. Let it sit for 5 hours, then charge back up.

Screen calibration is done by going to system preferences, select displays, then select color, then calibrate. Follow the instructions. Some people say change the gamma from 1.8 to 2.2.

Yes, everything you need for XP will be on the disk. Follow the instructions for Bootcamp assistant and you'll be okay.

Good luck!

John B

10. htchang1987 thread starter macrumors member

Wow, thanks John for the full explanation!!! I am really appreciate for that!!!

Just another question, I have been looking around and come across some graphics driver issue regarding windows in bootcamp, do I need to go anywhere to install a correct driver for the GPU to work normally in XP bootcamp or it is already included in the OS X DVD?

11. htchang1987 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for another question,

What to follow that the battery is fully charged? By the LED indicator or the "current battery charge"? Because my previous white macbook never goes to a "current battery charge" of 100% but remains at 99% forever!

12. NickM macrumors 6502

What issue did you come across?
    I just recently got my first MacBook Pro, and the OS X disc had good graphics driver on there. I used Boot Camp to also install XP, and it looks great. I've been playing several games without any problems.

13. NickM macrumors 6502

Sometimes it might say 99%...
    If it does, unplug it from the charger and drain the battery some. Maybe 20% or so... then plug it back into the charger. That might help...
    Unless the battery is just old and used, and is no longer capable of reaching 100% or something.

14. htchang1987 thread starter macrumors member

I am now on my new macbook pro!!!
    I tried to do the display calibration just now however, I am really noob to do it...I am KO-ed at the first step where it asked to adjust the brightness and neutral but I really don't know how to adjust it to the right thing! Anyone could possibly help?

15. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

do some searching, look for some calibrations already set. Set them to your computer and pick the one you would like that fits your eyes or anyone else's the best.

16. htchang1987 thread starter macrumors member

Well, I remembered seeing a thread on recommended app to be installed some days ago but I couldn't able to find that thread, anyone can help?

On the other hand, I am confused which fan control app to use: Fan Control 1.2 or SMC Fan Control?? Which one works well and also conveniently operating normal under bootcamp mode?

Thanks.

17. johndoe588 macrumors regular

Glad it's up and running.

I've had no graphics issues when using Bootcamp with just what is on the OSX disk. I've used XP and Vista with no problems. I also use XP and the Windows 7 beta in VMware Fusion.

Fan Control and SMC fan control is a common topic lately. I use Fan Control, others like SMC fan control. Fan Control will vary the fan speeds with temperature, the other lets you set a fan speed. If you're going to play games in XP use SMC fan control and set the fans to a high speed before you reboot into windows.

As far as recommended applications, there are many threads on MacRumors about that. What are you looking to do?

Have fun!

John B.

18. htchang1987 thread starter macrumors member

I am actually looking for a list of sort of "must have" app such as adium, skype, firefox, etc. So I am looking forward for this kind of list (I came across one previously in macromour forum but couldn't find it then)

19. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

10 times? Only one is required to calibrate the battery!

20. darngooddesign macrumors G3

So you don't stress the battery with small charging increments, carrying it from room to room while asleep for example, if it is over 95% full your MBP will stop charging the battery. If this really bugs you just run it till the battery reads 94% and then charge it all the way up.

21. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes but you can never be safe enough, in fact i try to fully dischagre my battery every time i use it (until it goes to sleep on me). dad does this, got 800 cycles + out of his old battery.

22. Momofthree macrumors member

wow, I didn't know that I could do that.....thanks for the tip. I'm a new owner so still learning my way around. Have had it about 2 weeks now. Been a lurker for awhile on the forums though!