Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Problem number two, people often believe buying from Apple will bring them more joy

I pre-ordered my 4S from Apple and it arrived on launch day. I ordered my wife's from AT$T and it was not delivered. I had to go to the AT$T store that night, wait around, cancel the order, and pay for it again. I was just lucky they had some left.

I'd say buying from Apple brought me more joy.

As to the OP's problem, I think it's silly they wouldn't just take care of you. If you buy an iPhone from ANYWHERE and it's under warranty, they'll fix/replace it…I don't see why they wouldn't do an exchange that you bought FROM THEM.

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
I am curious if you have read the Apple Online Store Sales Policy because if you had, it makes no mention of exchange policies. According the Apple Store employees that I spoke to, anything but the iPhone indeed can be exchanged at the store. I doubt that I am the only one in this boat as just reading this comment thread proves. Apple would be wise to insert a line in Online Agreement explicitly stating that iPhone 4S exchanges are not allowed.

...I managed to find the exclusion without any difficulty:

http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

(Scroll down to "Bring your item to an Apple store": "Note: At this time, iPhone is ineligible for return at an Apple Retail Store.")

I agree that this is a bizarre exclusion, and that it must have something to do with carrier agreements or subsidies or something, as that's about the only difference that I can think of from a sales perspective between an iPhone and everything else they make.

-- Nathan

tricouleur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
Thanks Nathan, I was specifically looking for exchange policies for the online store. Granted, naively I expected return for refund to be different than exchange.

Last edited:

Obdc13

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
Anyone know when will Apple is going to sell Iphone 4s unlocked?? Its November now and no date or news...

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Sorry to hear that, that is really irratating to know that you can't exchange the phone locally. I did not want to go through this either, that is why I bought the 64gig iPhone. I will always try to buy the best available when it comes to certain devices, that way I don't have buyers remorse. I have 900+ photos on my phone, three movies, and a fair amount of music. I still have 39.3 gig available to use. So, try and get the the most memory if you can so you won't regret it.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Well, let's see what the Apple store says tomorrow when I bring in my White Iphone for an exchange. If they say no, I will just add a line, purchase a 16gb model (that hopefully I reserve tonight) as a temporary. Slap it on my credit card. Start the process of my first Iphone for the online return and return the second (new line) when the first exchange completes. Which will all be under 30 days, so no ETF, no cash out of pockets because it's on credit card and another used Iphone that will return to APPLE because they couldn't simply exchange it from the get go :p Wouldn't that work? I would rather not do that way, but I can't have any down time without a phone, especially my Iphone.

Just curious: if you do this, do you know if swapping the sim cards with the temporary unit until you get the permanent replacement would cause a problem?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Not to dump on the OP specifically, but there is a heavy iPhone 4S demand. They take 1 to 4 weeks to get, unless you luck out with a reservation. If you got one and decide you want a different size or color, why do you feel "entitled" to jump the line and get a SECOND phone (relegating the results of your original poor decision making back into the refurb process), when so many are waiting to get the ONE phone that they ordered - most of us having considered carefully what model, carrier, and size would best meet our needs BEFORE buying?

Fine, you're not happy with your purchase - return it, and get back in line with the rest of us. Your inability to make up your mind shouldn't grant you special treatment.

tricouleur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
Seanfranklin, I think you misread my post. I wasn't jumping the line. I did manage to reserve a phone using the reservation system. Went to the Apple Store and the process began....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.