Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JordanianOne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Hi everyone,

I've had my Macbook for a couple of weeks and I don't do anything other than browsing and such. Since then, it has crashed 3 times: twice on the 14th (Error code: 0x00000000 and 0x00000002) and once just now (Error code: 0x00000000) for no apparent reason. I have the PANIC logs but I don't understand them.

I emailed Amazon (where I bought the Macbook) and asked to return it as a defective item, they suggested I contact Apple first and try to resolve it. BUT I don't want to lose time and end up unable to return it and I would rather get another one than have to deal with this. I also have a feeling Amazon want me to try that first so they don't have to deal with a defective item.

I'm freaking out because I really like this Macbook, it's my first and I enjoy it so much. I just don't want to be stuck with an unstable machine.

Should I return it as defective or fix it? What are these errors all about? Any advice?

Thanks for reading this message and for your potential help!

anotherarunan

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
London, United Kingdom (UK)
Why don't you just do what they say and take it to the Apple store?

Although your problem does sound strange - and kind of worrying - if its new it'll still be under warantee so just take it to the Apple store and get it sorted asap!

JordanianOne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Thanks to you two for taking the time to reply. I've sent back the Macbook today after calling Amazon. The customer service employee was very helpful and sent me a "return defective item" label on the spot. We'll see how this goes I guess.

I didn't go to an apple store because the only one there is is far, far away from where I live. Why should I shoulder the cost and hassle of taking it to the store to get it fixed when it's only 2 weeks old? I mean, I already paid a lot of money for it and the expectation is that it should work :)

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Thanks to you two for taking the time to reply. I've sent back the Macbook today after calling Amazon. The customer service employee was very helpful and sent me a "return defective item" label on the spot. We'll see how this goes I guess.

I didn't go to an apple store because the only one there is is far, far away from where I live. Why should I shoulder the cost and hassle of taking it to the store to get it fixed when it's only 2 weeks old? I mean, I already paid a lot of money for it and the expectation is that it should work :)

Great news that Amazon is going to take care of it. Those of us who live near Apple Stores (I have 4 within 30 minutes of my home) take it for granted that everyone lives near one.

Jony Mac

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Great news that Amazon is going to take care of it. Those of us who live near Apple Stores (I have 4 within 30 minutes of my home) take it for granted that everyone lives near one.

Yeah I have 3 within 15 minutes of me. I just assume everyone has one near them too.

JordanianOne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Update

Hello,

Just to update you all. I returned the MacBook last week and today Amazon authorised a full refund. So glad this chapter is over and I'm happy they didn't send it back to me. They didn't say if they tested it but on their defective items returns page they mention that they test items before refunding anything... Guess they either tested it and found it faulty or they didn't bother.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their help :)

Peterpot

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2011
Hello,

Just to update you all. I returned the MacBook last week and today Amazon authorised a full refund. So glad this chapter is over and I'm happy they didn't send it back to me. They didn't say if they tested it but on their defective items returns page they mention that they test items before refunding anything... Guess they either tested it and found it faulty or they didn't bother.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their help :)

Are you going to buy another one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.