VERY NEW TO MACS - Need help upgrading MAC OS

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by craigjr88, Mar 25, 2009.

1. craigjr88 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I am currently a PC Tech and have been for about 15years but I've always liked Macs but never really owned one nor know much about them.
    I recently picked up a MacPro G4 867mhz 512megs of Ram and 80gig HD. I did pick up a CD/DVD-RW-DL for it BTW.

My problem is the OS on it now is currently 10.3 and anything I try to install tells me I need atleast 10.4. I do have a copy of MAC OS X Leaopard in the DMG format and attempted to install it but was unable to. I'm not sure If I can't upgrade straight to that from the version I'm on now or I followed the instructions I found wrong.

I first mounted the dmg, then restored it to a partition on a 2nd HD I installed in the computer which it seems to have restored properly but I am unable to make that partition bootable to attempt to install it.

So if anyone can give me step by step instructions with EXTREME details since I'm still very new to macs and still catching on to how it runs I would greatly appreciate it.

I had also downloaded a version of MAC OS X 10.4 (i think) and I was able to burn to to dvd as bootable but when booting to it, it seems to freeze on that bash screen(?) so I'm thinking it's probably a corrupted copy.

Again to anyone who can help me PLEASE be very specific as to how to do this.
    Thanks
    -Craig
    Email: craigjr88@hotmail.com

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

<Jim Carrey>Stop breaking the law, *******!</Jim Carrey>

Just go and buy a copy and install it the proper way.

3. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

^^^
    What he said...

This is your OS, you need it to be rock solid, and as a PC Tech person, you should know that better than anyone else!
    You wouldn't stick a sh1**y engine in a car, would you?
    Even the G4's work fine with Leopard 10.5.6