Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
New EyeTV 250 Is A Major Step Backwards And Not What He/She Needs At All

I figured it out... Here's the specs from Amazon :

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DCR-SR40.../B000GT47I6/ref=de_a_smtd/102-1557766-3712159

It should have an s-video out connector and a red/white analog audio out connector.

You're going to need an s-video cable
An RCA jack stereo audio cable.Commonly sold as RCA media cables with red/white for audio and yellow for composite video.You don't want to use the yellow composite cable for the video portion.Use the black s-video.

Now the weird part.
So weird I'm pretty sure Peace is mistaken.
These cables will need to be connected to a converter box.One similar to the EyeTV 250.

Next :)

Connect the converter box to your Mac vis USB and run the EyeTV app.Making sure its connected to the camera AND you are using the camera in "Play Mode".

I'm sure there's a menu on the camera that does that.It's like connecting it to your TV to watch.Instead you are connecting it to the converter box which is connected to your Mac.

You wont lose any quality as the Camera you have is only 340 pixels.

I highly recommend Elgato products..

This way you keep your camera and continue to film the baby yet you make a small investment in a proven piece of Mac approved hardware to save to your Mac or iTunes and :apple: TV !
OK You lost me there. EyeTV 250 used to be a FW Converter to DV from an Analog INPUT Set. I know because I still have one.

Now it's USB 2 to Toast MPEG2 NOT DV. So the import from his/her camera's analog output via the new "not imporved" "retro backward stepped" USB2 EyeTV 250 (same model number - go figure? :rolleyes:) won't be anything he/she can edit. Maybe he can Cuts Only edit in the EyeTV MPEG2 Editor? I doube that's what he/she had in mind.
You can get a refurbished for $149.95 From Elgato.
I think he needs a Canopus or old FireWire EyeTV 250 not the new one.

$229 for Canopus ADVC-55

or $269 for the ADVC110 is the solution not that USB2 EyeTV 250 Peace. He/she needs a way to convert his footage into DV not MPEG2 which it is in the first place.

The reason we didn't get to this "solution" earlier is because the additional cost combined with the cost of the camera totals about what a new Sony HDR-HC5 HDV camera will cost soon. That's why I was asking you how much you paid for the camera.

knl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
okay, now you both have really gone way over my head!!

Thanks for the information though. We are going to pack up the camera and head to the store bought it from (Best Buy) and ask them to take it back and head us toward one that IS in fact Mac compatible... which the store orginally said this Sony was.

It's crazy to buy a bunch of adapter stuff to make a brand new camera work on a brand new computer.

I think we paid around $700

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Good Decision!

okay, now you both have really gone way over my head!!

Thanks for the information though. We are going to pack up the camera and head to the store bought it from (Best Buy) and ask them to take it back and head us toward one that IS in fact Mac compatible... which the store orginally said this Sony was.

It's crazy to buy a bunch of adapter stuff to make a brand new camera work on a brand new computer.

I think we paid around $700
Well yeah. That was too much money for last year''s bottom of the line HDD camcorder. I asked you what you paid several times so I could tell you if you got a good price or not but you refused to say. Mail order the Sony HDR-HC7 for $1150 or less now and you will be able to live with that camcorder for many many years. Think of it as an investment in your memories. One larger than you expected price but not having to spend more for another camcorder later because you start with the best which will last much longer.

OR if you must buy it at Best Buy bite the bullet and get either the ultimate HC7 or the fully automatic HC5. Those are the new models. If they have HC3 left - last year's fully automatic HDV model, bargain with them to get it for $700-$800 almost even exchange. Let them know YOU KNOW it's last years model and you aren't going to pay top dollar for an OBSOLETE model.

knl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
I was just reading the thread you forwarded when you wrote back. It's rather long, but I think I get the gist.
Now, this HC7 is completely Mac compatible - no hidden things I'll have to buy to make it work on my computer? Is it user-friendly as well?

Thanks!

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Yes HC7 Is Totally Mac Friendly

I was just reading the thread you forwarded when you wrote back. It's rather long, but I think I get the gist. Now, this HC7 is completely Mac compatible - no hidden things I'll have to buy to make it work on my computer? Is it user-friendly as well?
Totally. Just need a 4 pin to 6 pin FireWire cable and you're good to go. You will be very happy with the HC7 for many years to come. Be sure to buy an extended warranty for it as well. I got mine (4 yr including accidental damage) direct from Sony for $180. But Best Buy may have a good one too.

knl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
Is it mostly personal preference to go with hard disk drive instead of the cd or cassette?

Would the HC5 be an equivalent choice?

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
HC5 Is Step Down From HC7

Is it mostly personal preference to go with hard disk drive instead of the cd or cassette? Would the HC5 be an equivalent choice?
No HDD is a completely new format and not HD. HC5 HDV is fully automatic while HC7 HDV has many manual controls and also a much higher density sensor - best quality. HC7 can run in fully automatic mode as well but will offer you a chance to grow with it and deliver the best picture due to its best sensor in this class of camcorder.

knl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
Doesn't sound like a bad step down though.

We're not going to be doing any hi tech editing. Just want to get video of our new baby (well, new in about a week!). I show horses, too, so that's important to us as well. I'd like to be able to put them on the computer to send to family and friends. Is the HC5 enough, or would you stick with the HC7?

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Stick With The HC7 For Long Life Of Top Quality

We're not going to be doing any hi tech editing. Just want to get video of our new baby (well, new in about a week!). I show horses, too, so that's important to us as well. I'd like to be able to put them on the computer to send to family and friends. Is the HC5 enough, or would you stick with the HC7?
You want top quality for the best images of your new baby and horses don't you? The HC7 will deliver better quality images. Spend a little more for the best now and you won't have to worry about getting better later. Stick with the HC7. If you read the HC7 thread you will know why it's so popular - because it's the best HDV camcorder you can get in 2007.

knl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
Thanks

Thanks for the help. I guess this could have been avoided had the answer been "no" when we asked if the camera was Mac savy. Oh well. Let's just hope we can get Best Buy to take the camera back.

I looked at your Ellen-Gineering - good stuff. She's hysterical, and her "expertise" is right up my alley!

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Don't Take No For An Answer. You Were Deceived.

Thanks for the help. I guess this could have been avoided had the answer been "no" when we asked if the camera was Mac savy. Oh well. Let's just hope we can get Best Buy to take the camera back.

I looked at your Ellen-Gineering - good stuff. She's hysterical, and her "expertise" is right up my alley!
Thanks. How long ago did you buy it there? Pretty sure they have a 30-Day return policy. If it's past 30 days you may have to escalate to the store manager and insist it was sold to you under FALSE PRETENSES. I would take them to small claims court if they won't let you at least exchange it.

knl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
one more thing

are there any hdd cameras that go with the mac? that's really what my husband prefers, but I think I could talk him out of it if need be.

knl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
Thanks. How long ago did you buy it there? Pretty sure they have a 30-Day return policy. If it's past 30 days you may have to escalate to the store manager and insist it was sold to you under FALSE PRETENSES. I would take them to small claims court if they won't let you at least exchange it.

It's actually a 14 day policy, which has passed. We give the store a bit of business, so we are heading straight to the manager. There's also a huge restocking fee just if the box is unsealed. I just checked prices from the site you sent me and the Best Buy site and both cameras (HC5 AND HC7) are much more expensive than ProVantage...the HC5 is about $250 more.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
There Are No Mac Friendly HDD Camcorders Yet

are there any hdd cameras that go with the mac? that's really what my husband prefers, but I think I could talk him out of it if need be.
No. This is all discussed in depth on the HC7 thread.
It's actually a 14 day policy, which has passed. We give the store a bit of business, so we are heading straight to the manager. There's also a huge restocking fee just if the box is unsealed. I just checked prices from the site you sent me and the Best Buy site and both cameras (HC5 AND HC7) are much more expensive than ProVantage...the HC5 is about $250 more.
Yes I know. You should shoot for a flat out credit. You may even be able to talk your credit card company into a dispute due to the deception at purchase which I am almost certain they would rule in your favor and give you full credit back on your VISA or MasterCard. I would leave the camcorder with the manager no matter what he says and phone the credit card company. In fact I would phone them before you go to the store and tell the manager the sale is in dispute if he doesn't want to give you a full credit back on your card. You don't deserve to pay a restocking fee for a return of a purchase that was based on a deceptive sales tactic. Tell the card company that right now.

knl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
Apple's website toughts the Canon HV10. What do you think of it?

I can't get my mind past the fact that these nice cameras are all still tape. A sterotype on my part???

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Apple's website toughts the Canon HV10. What do you think of it?

I can't get my mind past the fact that these nice cameras are all still tape. A sterotype on my part???

From what I've read the Canon HV10 can be a pain, and the vertical design sucks. If you wait another month, the Canon HV20 will be out, and its a better version of the HV10. It's also better than the Sony HC7 and a couple hundred dollars cheaper.

While these nice cameras all still use tapes, you have to remember that they are not the same kind of old tapes used years ago in your vcrs and stuff. Those tapes were analog, and the new tapes are digital.

knl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
Thanks for the feedback. So how does the tape get logged into the computer? Is it simply having a cable between the camera into the computer like a dvd camera?

knl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
Thanks. So I guess tape isn't as old fashioned as a person who isn't a camera guru thinks, huh?

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Yeah.. MiniDV and other tape formats are here to stay for a while. As more cameras move to HD, they will become tapeless, but for shooting in standard definition, digital tapes will probably remain standard until SD becomes obsolete.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.