Very new, with some Q's

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CrazyChihuahua, Mar 11, 2008.

1. CrazyChihuahua macrumors newbie

Hey folks. Just got my new 24" iMac today, and things are going great so far, but I have some pretty basic questions (it's my first Mac).

1. This is more of a double-check: which way do I insert a CD? I feel stupid for asking that, and I assume it's with the label facing the screen side, but I just want to be sure.

2. What do people find the best messenger program to be? I downloaded and tried Adium, but didn't like the interface too much. I'm using aMSN now, and it seems a bit better in terms of looks, but I'm just curious as to if someone can recommend something else.

3. Speaking of aMSN, I get a slow-down just trying to resize the windows, and I'm curious as to if it might be just the program. Firefox seems to doing stuff like resizing and such very easily.

I think that's it for now. I love how easy stuff seems to be to install. I was confused at first, but it seems it's just literally dragging the icon and then having it installed. Very simple stuff.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

1) Label toward the Screen. If it goes in backwards, it will just be ejected.

2) You can download the official messengers for each service. Also, Adium is highly customizable. Fire is another alternative.

TEG

4. andy.barron macrumors 6502

I don't use them myself, but after some research for my son, Mercury Messenger worked the fastest:)

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

1. lol yea label facing you

2. i find adium to be the best program, doesnt have video/audio YET but is very customizable which is great for mac :), really good performance aswell, there is also mercury messenger which i use for video/audio. msn messenger for mac (by windows) is a bit lame and behind. there are a coupla other ones but theyr not very good.

3. id say its just the program..

6. CrazyChihuahua thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies folks. It seems pretty obvious that that was the way to do it, but I just wanted to be sure :p

I'll check out the official Mac versions of the IM programs I use. A friend tried to sell me on various ones before my Mac came, so it never occurred to me to try the normal ones.

7. andy.barron macrumors 6502

Always best to be sure than in a world of regret:D

8. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

There's a new version of MSN coming later this year including one for the Mac.

I seem to recall reading that it was going to provide Video but we'll have to wait and see.

I use Adium outside work and iChat at work on the corporate network. And I have yet to find something that beats either of those two.

Cheers.

9. CrazyChihuahua thread starter macrumors newbie

Ugh, I'm stupid. I just tried Adium again, and just realized that all of the customization options were on the toolbar on the top. I didn't quite realize fully that when something is open, the toolbar changes to options for that specific program. Clearly things will take some getting used to :p

10. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Many people use adium here. At first it looks boring, but it is very customizable. There is lots of skins for in on their extras site.

11. andy.barron macrumors 6502

Enjoy your new toy & don't be afraid to ask, its not stupid if you just don't know the answer, loads of people here will.

12. McGiord, Mar 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

For video conferencing I prefer skype.
    And remember that you could also have a bootcamp partition to run Windows natively, if you miss so much MSN.
    ________
    Yamaha Pro Audio history

13. CrazyChihuahua thread starter macrumors newbie

Nah, now that I have Adium customized, it seems much more familiar, and all is well. I'm actually loving things as they are now, and don't see me making a Windows partition unless I absolutely need to.

Also, the aluminum keyboard is super awesome. I thought it'd be weird to use, but I picked it up quick, and it feels super comfortable now. Not to mention that the Dashboard and Expose are great (especially Expose, it's so handy!). I'm also digging the amount of space I have on the screen in general.

Thanks for the help so far folks!

14. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Welcome and congrats.

You will find there's a great community here and around the mac in general, so don't be afraid to ask anything.

As was stated before, Adium is the best choice. iChat for my tastes though.

In general UI's on the mac can take some getting used to if you've been using windows all your life, so give adium some time and make sure to check out all of it's customization features.

I agree the aluminum keyboard is way awesome. My parents have one it makes me jealous.