Very newbish question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Anorak, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Anorak macrumors regular

Anorak

I just got my MacBook Pro this morning (which so far has exceeded my expections :D) and since it's my first Mac, I'm still figuring things out.

I downloaded MSN 6.0.2 and ran the installer and it seemed to work well. I'm a little confused about the whole mounting thing, though. Is it the case that every time I run MSN it will mount itself (with an icon on the desktop and in the Finder), and then I have to unmount it when I close it? That seems kind of odd.

Any help would be great. Try to go easy on me - my first Mac. :)

2. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I had this same problem when i first started using OS X

The way to do it for most applications is to mount the .dmg file, drag the aplication to the applications folder, then unmount the .dmg file. From there you are good to go as far as getting it to work properly.

For .dmgs that contain an installer of some sort then all that needs to be done is a double slick and the installer will take care of the steps for you.

Hope that helps

3. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

You probably mounted the .DMG.. you're better off dragging the msn app to your Applications folder and then you can delete the DMG.
    A quick 101 on this can be seen here.

Being you're first mac, welcome to a whole new EASIER world of installing (and removing) apps from your computer :) (ie, no more setup.exe crap!! lol)

May I recommend using AdiumX instead of MSN? AdiumX allows you to also use other IM accounts using the same interface, plus a whole host of other features :)

Enjoy and good luck :)

4. Anorak thread starter macrumors regular

Anorak

That worked perfectly. I'm so used to Windows that I didn't realize you can just drag it to the Applications folder.

I'm starting to get the hang of it. :)

I'll give it a try!

I also like how I ordered my MacBook 3 weeks ago and they packed in iLife '08. :)

5. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Glad to hear that it worked.

Like the posted above suggested, i would also use adium if you need to do MSN stuff. Adium is MUCH better then the MS stuff. Adium does lack some features but in all it is a great program. if you need video chat i think you can use a program called aMSN. just go to www.versiontracker.com for any programs you might need.