VERY Noob question but help is appreciated

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mjz147, May 5, 2010.

1. mjz147 macrumors regular

I searched and searched and couldn't find anything relevant from the past month.

I am new to the iPhone hacking, I have an 8gb iPhone 3G

version 3.1.3 (7E18)

Modem firmware 5.12.01

Bootloader version 5.09 [G2M3S2]

When I got the phone it was running these things, I am trying to unlock it but its not working, obvously I am JB. I downlaoded fuzzyband, but that only helps downgrade 5.08 down to 4.26

Anyway the initial question is: Is their any fix to that as of now?

And If I restore it to factory and reload an older version, say 3.01 or something like that, will that change the bootloader version or is that something hardware wise, or something too important to mess with?

Any help is appreciated, I came from an android device and am new to iPhone hacking.

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Unless you are one of the few people for whom fuzzyband works, there is no way to downgrade your baseband. And there is currently no way to unlock 05.12.01.

3. mjz147 thread starter macrumors regular

damnn
    Thanks for the help.

Even if I go back to 3.1.2 or even before that, I can't unlock it??
    I have no problem restoring my phone if I can unlock it.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, once the baseband is updated it cannot be downgraded again unlike firmware where you can go down to 3.0 or 3.1.2 etc..

5. mjz147 thread starter macrumors regular

Man that sucks.

Thanks for the help tho. I know the guys who figure out how to jailbreak or unlock these things are geniouses but will they be able to do it in the near future with this all this stuff?

My plan was to use a prepaid tmobile sim card but that didn't work haha

if I use a prepaid AT&T sim card will it work or do you need a reguler AT&T sim card?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, a prepaid AT&T sim will work fine.
    About the unlock Im pretty positive we will see one after the new iphone is released.

7. mjz147 thread starter macrumors regular

I looked around and found something called a turbo sim, which is basically a thing sim card shaped thing that you put over the sim card and it unlocks the phone. the only thing I have seen though is that it works with an iPhone 3G with 2.1.

However I don't know if it will work with 3.1.3

It is not a big deal for me. I was looking for an iPod touch and couldnt find one cheaper than $150, which is not bad at all. But came across an iPhone (on craigslist) for $200 So i bought that figuring I can use it at home to make calls and text and then use is as an iPod touch. I JB it and installed google voice from cydia and I have a google voice account. So I bought a $10 prepaid tmobile sim card figuring as long as I have that in my phone and have wifi at home I can text and talk as much as I want with google Voice. At least thats what I believe google voice does. And lastly I have a sprint hero that is rooted, and I can wirelessly tether the iPhone from my phone. which is a bit of a pain in the ass, but I really like the iPhone.

Plus having a sim card with only unlimited data, and as few minutes possible will save you money if you use google voice.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not sure on those turbo sims.
    Some might work with certain firmware while others won't. I remember apple making them useless thru a few software updates in the past.