Very nubby questions regaurding SSH?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Raishi, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Raishi macrumors member

First of all... I don't quite understand what it is, I get that it lets you access certain parts of your phone and such, but I've herd a lot of people have had problems with viruses and stuff because of having access to SSH? (because of the password or something... Idk?)

I've jail broken and all that, but I don't exactly know what I'm doing when it comes to the most advanced stuff... I herd something about file transfer, but only 1 of my friends has an Iphone other than me, and the stuff I have can easily be obtained so file transfer is not a big deal to me.

So I more or less ask, what is it exactly and how it can benefit me, and what are the risks to using it? (besides apples "we don't like Jail breaking and its apps blah blah blah")

(just in case this information is usefull)
    - iPhone 3Gs
    - Cydia
    - Installous <- though I understand its illegal to discuss that here, but if that would effect your explanation of SSH please do some in some sort of short quick way.

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

SSHing things into your phone is for a variety of reasons. In terms of modifying icons or layouts, you'll need to locate specific files within your phone and SSH things in to replace them. This is primarily what I use SSH for however there are other benefits to using SSH I believe. Not sure what they are since I'm not that advanced in this area. Also, if you wanted to upload custom ringtones/SMS tones this can be accomplished by SSH. Since you're a noob, might be best just to stick with altering icons and such until you get the hang of how things work.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Honestly, SSH is a powerful tool that allow you to securely remote connect to a server (In this case your phone), this tool if don't know how to use it, it can do more harm than good. think about it like a remote desktop application for a shell console (without the UI). It used an Specific protocol to encrypt the communication between machines so you can remote execute root commands.

You don't really "need" SSH, based on your statement you don't know unix commands, so if you want is to browse the File system, use programs like iPhone Explorer or PhoneDisk, or DiskAid (paid). These will allow you to change icons, add ringtones and pretty much access all your file system without the risk of messing with commands or messing something up (well you can still mess things up that way, but the risk is less).

4. Raishi thread starter macrumors member

I see, Thank you for your help, However from the sounds of it I don't think I'm going to bother... I have no problems with the icons it currently has, and for ring tones I can just make them my self in Itunes =3. and anything else that would effect the core iPhone I think I'd be to afraid to change xD.

Thank you guys again =)