Very odd and different situation...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by c84216, Sep 25, 2015.

1. c84216 macrumors member

Okay, so I have to ask a question and see what ideas you have.

So I got my beautiful new 6S Plus in the mail today. Turned it on and it wants to activate a number that's not mine. Whoops!

I called Apple and they transferred me to a tech so said everything was messed up on the backend with the info coming from Verizon; that the number I was seeing was someone else's number but the phone itself was registered to me. They told me to call Verizon.

I called Verizon support three times. Each time they tried something different. First they said something got blocked in the switch, no problem, its fixed. That did not fix it. The second time they said it was an IMEI problem as the SIM did not match the IMEI. Perfect, switched all that. Done. Still didn't work. Third time they said the network wasn't updated nor was it syncing to Apple's backend. Fixed that. Still didn't work. Went to a Verizon store on the urging of my third Verizon rep. They tried reinputting the phone into their system, swapped SIM, you name it...nothing worked. The poor, flabbergasted Verizon guy finally said phone was defective, take back to Apple.

The Apple store nearest to me doesn't have Genius Bar appts until Tuesday. I called Apple back and the guy on the other end was not the most helpful as he tried to have me do the Express Replacement, which I less than politely declined because I wasn't paying $30 to replace a defective phone. I want to replace it at an Apple Store but I MUST have my phone for work. Verizon reactivated my old phone...sort of...but now its constantly telling me its not activated.

Anyone have any luck getting into Apple for an appointment when no appointments are available, especially when its a defective product? Or anyone have any better ideas? Thanks!

2. campingsk8er macrumors 6502

Question, did you buy it as an upgrade on another line, and then put your sim card in it? I used my moms upgrade so I could keep my unlimited data and when I put my sim card in, it said that this phone was for my moms number but after a minute and fixed itself so no problems at all.

3. c84216 thread starter macrumors member

I did get it as an upgrade, but for my own line. And my number is the only number on my account. I don't have anybody else on it. The number that it's trying to activate is a number that I've never seen in my life with an area code I've never been near.

I've managed to get a Genius Bar appointment tomorrow at an Apple Store 30 miles away. I just can't wait for them to point me back to Verizon and be stuck in an endless loop.

4. campingsk8er macrumors 6502

Oh that's super weird. It was probably a case of where someone ordered the one you have and was originally assigned to them but then got assigned to you. Regardless, I wish you the best of luck!

5. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

Yeah wish I could help. Best of luck. Maybe try going to the Apple Store and see what they can do even without an appointment.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I'm confused why you can't just "activate" with whatever number it says and then just switch your sim in. Unless I'm missing something, the number should switch with the sim, right?

7. spazma7ik, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015

spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

It's not very accurate. I had the same issue. I popped my SIM card into the new phone before powering it on (I'm on Verizon) and during setup it gave me a number that was not mine.. I opted to activate anyways as I knew my sim was in there so it couldn't possibly activate anything else. Lo and behold it activated on my number just fine. Weird stuff.

8. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

Have you tried just putting your sim from your old phone in while powered off, and than activating?

9. c84216 thread starter macrumors member

Genius went pale and said she'd never seen this before. No one knew what to do and my phone was replaced no questions asked. They were going to send the original off to Apple engineering for further examination. Very happy Apple customer.