Very odd crash happened this morning...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ArtIsLife, Mar 4, 2008.

1. ArtIsLife macrumors newbie

Okay, so, basically....

My Mac is set to sleep after about 30 minutes of inactivity. I've had it for two years, and it seems to have not had any problems with the sleep function in the past... Anywho, I left my computer to go to bed, and when I came back to it this morning, something weird happened...

It LOOKED like it was in sleep mode, but I could not wake it, no matter what I did, and the fans were roaring rather loud. I had to completely shut down and boot again.

I'm afraid it might happen again tonight, so I want to nip this problem in the bud before then.

Help me out.

2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Sounds like a bad freeze, this may be a symptom of things to come so if I were you I would backup your system in case this is a more serious problem. You could possibly have a bad logic board, so I would just be careful with the computer and see what happens. Sometimes there are one off things, if it continues you can run the hardware test to see if something pops up or swing by an Apple Store and have them look at it if this continues.

3. ArtIsLife thread starter macrumors newbie

Has this not happened to anyone else before?

I think it might have had something to do with my Alarm Clock program. It didn't go off this morning. Maybe it crashed my computer instead? @_@

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

This is nothing more than a freeze while attempting to come back from sleep. Usually it is just some minor permission problem when the system trys to restore the system from the RAM. Repair permissions and be done with it.

IF is occurs regularly, then it may be RAM, HD, or logic board problem, but just happening from time to time is no cause for concern.

TEG

6. ArtIsLife thread starter macrumors newbie

How would I go about repairing permissions? I've never had to before.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I have never heard of permissions issues causing a lock up of any kind. The symptoms you report sound similar to some of the problems which afflicted the recent iMac models, which is why I asked:

8. ArtIsLife thread starter macrumors newbie

It's an early G5 iMac. 1.8 GHZ 2 gig ram. No iSight.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well those models had a high rate of logic board failures, but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion just yet. I agree with the above post to the extent that it could be a hardware issue, but also not to worry unless it happens again.

10. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Happens to our G5 iMac occasionally. Looked inside awhile ago and found bad caps. Probably related, but the G5 is holding on for dear life. :)

I find unplugging and replugging in the iMac before rebooting limits the chance of it happening right away.

11. jeffmc macrumors 6502

reset your PRAM by holding down command option P and R when to computer is turning on.

12. Quint macrumors member

Why would resetting the pram fix a kernel panic?

If this problem happens again, you can physically inspect the logic board for puffed out capacitors. This is a fairly common problem with certain iMac G5s and is covered by Apple for a certain range of serials. You should contact an Apple authorized service provider and ask about this issue.

13. Kalafut macrumors regular

Kalafut

you know its bad for computers to be running all time. think about investing a couple bucks and buying a cheap alarm clock.

14. jeffmc macrumors 6502

this isn't necessarily a kernel panic.