Very odd problem: Wifi speed issue with a specific network in specific part of room?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Arjun Jethwa, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Arjun Jethwa macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have had the first gen Macbook Air since 2008 with no issues up this point what so ever.

Currently, I am living at a different address and sharing wifi with a couple other people (UK provider called TalkTalk) and for some reason I am having huge issues with the wifi in my bedroom.

The speed is intermittent, unable to load videos, cannot Skype my friends without it logging out...all of these issues are in my room. For example, I can't browse the web sitting on my bed, but if I stand towards my door -the speed suddenly picks up and it suddenly works fine?! No one else has issues with the wifi, and the wifi works fine if I sit by the router downstairs.

This problem truly baffles me! Is it interference sitting near my cheap radio?

I have an Apple iPhone and wifi seems OK on that, its just my MBA I am having issues with. Can anyone suggest anything?

I have logged into the router (http://192...bla bla) and fiddled with some of the settings (N to G, different router channel) but I have no idea if I have made the issue better or worse.

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

interference for sure. old european buildings weren't constructed with wifi in mind :p

you could look into getting an extender? or relocating your modem?

3. tdale macrumors 65816

Try this. Turn off EVERY other wifi receiving device, leave the iPhone on that wont matter, see how that goes.