Very odd wireless problem.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Chundles, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I'm up at my folks' place at the moment. They have 1.5Mbps broadband hooked into a Belkin router and since Dad bought a new modem the wireless connectivity has sucked. It often takes 2 or 3 reloads of a link to get it to work but once it's up it's as quick as I would expect.

Just very annoying constantly having to reload links all the time - makes the network feel really "laggy."

I've updated the router firmware, changed channels and fiddled with a few other settings but so far no dice. No problem with computers wired in to the router - they work just fine it's only wireless stuff that's dodgy.

Any ideas? There are only 802.11g machines on the network, no 802.11b anywhere.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Does it have wireless security on it, and have you tried stripping it of these security options? I'm pretty sure you smell bad.

3. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

That's because I can't wash the smell of your Mum off me.

Yeah we're a long way from the neighbours so there's no security on the network. Seems OK at the moment. I reckon the router's just dying.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It could well be... Check the throughput by transferring some files between machines. Mum says hi.