Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cableguy108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Here's the situation:
I bought the iphone 3g in September of 08. I just recently purchased a house, so to save money, I purchased a cheap go-phone, and canceled the data plan and everything attached to the iphone. So basically, I had a basic messaging and phone plan.

I was missing my iphone ALOT, and out of curiosity, I popped in my sim card into the iphone 3g, and behold, full service. I can make calls, receive calls, and use text messages. I can not access the internet, (i had it blocked so I don't incur any charges on the go-phone), or the visual voicemail, (which is fine). I can access the internet and itunes, app store, via wifi on, (which also is fine).

Has anyone done this before? Will I incur any charges? Can ATT charge me for using the iphone as just a regular fancy phone? I know that GPS won't work. I know that I won't get 3g service. I know that I won't be able to access the internet, app store, and itunes. I am fine with just using the wifi when I need to.

Any input would be grateful. Thanks.

p.s. please don't say "why would you want an iphone if you aren't going to use it to its potential." :p I just miss physically having this wonderful phone with me at all times. If I can continue to use it this way, that is fine.

jason72780

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
Gps will still work, just not the maps unless your on wifi. AT&T can tell you are using an iPhone so there is a chance they may turn your data plan back on. Besides that I don't see any other problems.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
OK, how about WOW you are the first person to try this and it even works.:)

Sorry, just kidding as there are many posts about "how" do I get just what you have posted by accident. :)

Everything will work just as the above poster indicated. You should not receive any email or SMS Txt messages from AT&T since you do not have an "invalid" iPhone data plan. You don't have a data plan. Just use caution when / if you make any feature changes to your line as the features that are offered Online or via Customer Care are based on the IMEI that is registered on the network. If your iPhone 3G is active, it will register with the network and provide AT&T with your iPhone's IMEI each time it connnects to a cell tower.

Just to be clear, you have a WIX Block on this line? You can check your AT&T bill to confirm that you have the data block.

Dave

cableguy108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Well when I had the go-phone, I had them block the data so I don't incur any more charges. So, yes, data is blocked, which is proven b/c I can't access any of the features that comes with the data plan, only when on wifi. Other than that, I've been using the iphone for the last 12 hours.

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Here's the situation:
I bought the iphone 3g in September of 08. I just recently purchased a house, so to save money, I purchased a cheap go-phone, and canceled the data plan and everything attached to the iphone. So basically, I had a basic messaging and phone plan.

I was missing my iphone ALOT, and out of curiosity, I popped in my sim card into the iphone 3g, and behold, full service. I can make calls, receive calls, and use text messages. I can not access the internet, (i had it blocked so I don't incur any charges on the go-phone), or the visual voicemail, (which is fine). I can access the internet and itunes, app store, via wifi on, (which also is fine).

Has anyone done this before? Will I incur any charges? Can ATT charge me for using the iphone as just a regular fancy phone? I know that GPS won't work. I know that I won't get 3g service. I know that I won't be able to access the internet, app store, and itunes. I am fine with just using the wifi when I need to.

Any input would be grateful. Thanks.

p.s. please don't say "why would you want an iphone if you aren't going to use it to its potential." :p I just miss physically having this wonderful phone with me at all times. If I can continue to use it this way, that is fine.

Thats what I did too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.