Very peculiar wireless problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Corrode, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

In Leopard, I used to have the problem of randomly not being able to connect to my wireless router and having to power cycle the router in order to get it working again. I upgraded to SL and it was the same crap as Leopard. Every few days, can't connect, power cycle the router.

NOW, I have an entirely different (well, maybe not entirely) problem. Every two days (almost to the hour) my wireless network will disappear and I won't be able to find it at all. I then power cycle the router and in exactly 2 days (almost) it'll disappear again.

I'm connecting to a Buffalo Airstation (I currently live in Japan and this is the main electronics manufacturer) and I'm not sure if its the greatest product in the world. I currently do not have physical access to the router as the family I'm living with keep it in their private office, and I can't go in there without one of them, and I definitely can't be disconnecting this and that (they're old, don't understand technology) so it makes resetting the router a big hassle.

So, that's my dilemma. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. It's using a WPA Personal password.

2. Arn1499 macrumors member

I had basically that same exact problem with my Netgear router... Sometimes resetting the DHCP lease will work (System Prefs -> Network -> (Airport) Advanced -> TCP/IP -> Renew DHCP Lease)

Other than that, I'd probably check to see if your firmware for the router is up to date, but if you have trouble accessing the router physically, this might be problematic

But, I couldn't find a permanent solution so I bought a Time Capsule and have had no problems since :D

3. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I doubt that it is a DHCP problem since the wifi network "disappears".

@OP
    Btw, do you mean that the wifi net is not visible anymore in the wlan network list ? Can you check if it also disappear on other devices ? another pc or mobile maybe ? You have to find out 1st if the problem comes from the AP or from your mac.

good luck,
    Tex

4. Corrode thread starter macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Yes, I do mean that the wifi net is not visible from the wlan network list. It also disappears from the PC laptop we also have in the house. The first problem I had only affected my Mac, and not their PC, but now it drops out on both.