Very Pleased Macbook Pro Owner

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by swmr, Feb 26, 2008.

1. swmr macrumors regular

swmr

Well the title pretty much says it. I just got home from the Apple store with my new laptop and I am happy with my purchase. I have the base model Macbook Pro with 2 GB of Ram and 200 HD. I am extremely glad that I waited for the updates because I really wanted the multi-touch capabilities, and now I have it. Plus, the new keyboard gives me a way to control iTunes with F7, 8, and 9. I had previously written a thread about how to set something like this up.

This is my first mac, so I am still learning how to use everything, but I am sure I will be happy with this amazing machine. Can anybody tell me what F5 and F6 do? They look like they could be screen brightness, but obviously are not.

Does anybody know of a good way to "search" for stuck or dead pixels? I don't want to be disappointed if I find one later.

Mitch -- swmr

2. WHM macrumors regular

Me Too !!

I have waited a very long time.... old laptop.. PowerBook G4.Charged for maybe 1/2 hour while I showered and settled down to check it out. Battery says 4:30 and could not be any happier. 2.6 Ghz and blows the old one off the table.

3. greenday123 macrumors 6502

Congrats on your new MBP!
    Now you need to update to signature! ;)

4. Oldhamer macrumors newbie

Love it to bits

Just got home also with a 2.4GHz Pro. Upgrading from a Macbook, so used migration assistant to transfer all the files and software which went really well. Only problem is that the machine is a bit boring now because everything is just the same as on my old one, except the upgrades on iMovie and iPhoto.

Screen is great, love the glossy version. Its just as warm on my knee as the MB. Really like the extra hard drive - I was limited to 80Gb on the old one and I was starting to use a lot of additional backup space.

Onward and Upwards

5. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

bought the REFURB Santa Rosa MBP 2.2 GHZ for $1449. i'm one happy camper here.:apple: cheers to all with the new Penryn Processor

6. Yell0w macrumors regular

i can't decide between the last generation 2.4 refurb or the new generation with the edu discount.

7. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

8. swmr thread starter macrumors regular

swmr

Yep I did some playing around last night before I went to sleep, but I realized I need to switch it out. I'll update when I get home from school today.

Any news on those F5 and F6 buttons? I feel like it is such a stupid question but I can't seem to figure it out.

Also, if I plug in my old Western Digital HD (NTFS), I know the mac can read it, but I was warned at the apple store to back up files before I try to transfer them. Is that a crucial step to take or should I be okay. I don't exactly have enough space to back it up...

9. tman08 macrumors member

Congrats, I picked a baseline MBP up yesterday. Sadly, I had one dead pixel right out of the box. Not sure if I want to attempt to fix it though, with my luck i'd end up killing more in the process.

10. PDE macrumors 68020

Would you please post your observations about the screen under the yellow screen thread Thanks!

11. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Usually it's just complaints, so it's good to see people posting positive comments.

Enjoy your Macs, everyone!

12. swmr thread starter macrumors regular

swmr

I am at school right now but I plan on doing that test as soon as I get home today.

Yea I tried to look around for some dead pixels but could not find any. If there a certain method used to finding them? I have never had an issue before and I dont want to be sorry in a few weeks if I find one.

13. Wolvngelz macrumors member

Same boat man.

Let me know what you decide and why ^^

14. Oh-es-Ten macrumors regular

Oh-es-Ten

Congrats on your new MBP! I am a very happy MBP owner which was the top of the line until yesterday.. :)

You may find those keys are for adjusting the keyboard backlight illumination. They are on F8 and F9 on this model MBP.

They will do nothing until the keyboard backlight is active. If you place your hands over each speaker, this will cause the light sensor to activate and the backlight will come on.

You can try it in a dark area too and see if that is the case.

15. swmr thread starter macrumors regular

swmr

Yes of course. Last night all of my use was on my dining room table and on my desk. I checked out the back light but it was never on while I pressed those buttons. Thanks for the help.

16. swmr thread starter macrumors regular

swmr

Just a small update on my purchase and I don't want to waste a new thread.

So in the last few days I have almost finished moving all my music files and gone through them. I work with the laptop for a few hours each day after school (swim practice) and I have loved its performance.

Last night I installed iWork 08 and everything went smoothly. I opened iTunes and got some music going, and I was prepared to do some file sorting while it installed, but the install went so quick I never got around to it. It only took about 4 minutes. So I did the software upgrades and opened up pages to type a paper for class. I was a bit surprised at how easy it was. I wasn't expecting much, but some people just swear by Office for mac or Neoffice and things like that. I really loved pages and I think I am going to like keynote too.

Then of course it came time to print. The hardest part was finding a USB cable because mine didn't come with one for some reason. Installed the ink, alligned the printer heads, and was done 10 minutes later. I definatly like the fact that drivers are pre-installed.

One thing to mention is that ALL of the above tasks were done while sitting in my family room watching TV. I was running off of battery power with the screen at full brightness. In my opinion the computer stayed quite cool and it was not uncomfortable at all. The computer definitely runs pretty cool, and my lap did not "overheat." It is also worth noting that I got about 4.5 hours of battery life before I plugged it in again in my room to print. The battery was not fully discharged at this time, still at about 10%.

Sorry for the long read, but as the original title says, I am very pleased with my purchase.:cool:

17. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

wow! i like reading threads like this!
    i commend the OP for doing so..
    a break from the usual " rants" from unsatisfied members:D

18. swmr thread starter macrumors regular

swmr

HAHA thanks. When I was still shopping for laptops/waiting for updates to the MBP all I read was how people have problems and hate them. I knew that it could not be everybody because then apple would be out of business. I figured I would show my experience with others. Hopefully is sheds light on how the laptops are really supposed to be enjoyed.