Very Poor Battery Life rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bbasra, Feb 19, 2013.

1. bbasra macrumors member

Hi,

I've had my rMBP for around 7 months now and I seem to get very poor battery life.

I'm only surfing the web with it with 50% brightness and occasionally using backlit keyboard. With this combination, the rmbp will only last about 3 hours. I've installed iStat pro to monitor cpu and memory usage to see what service or process is eating up my power.

I've read the battery guide too. Any idea's or more tests i can do before i book a genius bar appointment.

Battery Information:

Model Information:
    Serial Number: D862296333UDNMGA3
    Manufacturer: SMP
    Device Name: bq20z451
    Pack Lot Code: 0
    PCB Lot Code: 0
    Firmware Version: 511
    Hardware Revision: 3
    Cell Revision: 1150
    Charge Information:
    Charge Remaining (mAh): 7492
    Fully Charged: No
    Charging: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 8374
    Health Information:
    Cycle Count: 46
    Condition: Normal
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): -1330
    Voltage (mV): 11978

Thanks.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Battery looks to be in good health. I'd check Activity Monitor to see if there are any processes chewing up your CPU. Also check display options to make sure Optimus (graphics switching) is enabled- running on dedicated GPU could explain those kinds of numbers.

Beyond that... an SMC reset, perhaps? And if that runtime includes running Windows that's pretty much normal- it doesn't recognize the Intel graphics.

4. LastZion macrumors 6502a

This is by far the best battery I have ever had.
    I am pretty sure I have had 85% the MBP models...

5. bbasra thread starter macrumors member

I mainly use my rMbp as a surfing machine.... overkill i know but i love the display. I use google chrome, dropbox, cord.

I have gfxcardstatus also installed and the graphics is switching.

current cpu load is 2%-4% whilst i'm typing this.

I also have parallels installed running windows 7 but i power off this VM as i know this will consume alot of battery power so can rule out this being the issue.

6. tivoboy macrumors 68030

battery

My battery no a 15" rmbp that I use all day usually runs between 5.5-7 hours on a full charge. That is at about 65-70% brightness and having a number of items open, including about 60 tabs in Chrome and also some safari, and mail etc.

It's IS pretty good, not the best I have ever had, but pretty darn good.

7. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Try running only on integrated graphics, force gfxstatus to integrated only. See if that helps. For your habits, the intel 4000 is probably enough while chrome tends to switch graphics to the 650m.