Very poor bootcamp performance with new iMac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by b0redom, Jul 31, 2010.

1. b0redom macrumors regular

Hi,
    I just bought a brand new i5 quad core iMac. I installed Starcraft, and I have to crank the settings down in order to get a decent frame rate, so I thought I'd give Bootcamp a go.

I installed Win7 64bit and then installed the drivers from the DVD which came with it. I started up the Starcraft 2 installer and 8 HOURS LATER, it was still at only 60%.

Steam also seems to have issues, it will halt with a "This program is no longer responding" window, and then randomly spring back to life a few seconds later.

The system also feels really sluggish. I've not been able to benchmark anything on it to see if the system is really slow, or if it's just my perception as all the modern games I have are in my steam account.

For some reason when I shutdown, Windows also seems to hang on "Shutting down". It does not exhibit the same behaviour when I launch the boot camp partition through VMWare.

Any ideas?

2. b0redom thread starter macrumors regular

After some more digging. It now appears that the performance problems were due to my creating a 50GB partition on the internal disk and a much larger one on a firewire external drive.

When I install to the local disk, it screams through the install process. I've tried installing putting the 'legacy driver in place' as suggested in this URL and it's helped a lot, but it's still MUCH slower than the internal drive. I could try USB but the whole point behind firewire was that it would be much faster :rolleyes:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...e/thread/65cb7a25-2a84-4875-aa27-b084537e8da1