Very Poor upload speed, brand new iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mac2thefuture, Jan 21, 2013.

1. mac2thefuture macrumors 65816

Hello,
    I have fibre optic broadband and have varying degrees of upload and d/load speed depending on the time of day etc (as expected).

How ever, ive noticed very poor results on the upload abilities of my brand new iMac - see the photo attached.

I ran the same test on my iPhone and i got 20.73 on the UPLOAD !

iIs there anything i can do to improve this?:confused:

Attached Files:

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

How is your iMac connected to your router? I'm using Virgin and have a good connection, although like you it varies at different times of day. I have my Superhub in bridge mood connected by an ethernet cable to a Time Capsule. The iMac is then connected by another ethernet cable.

Attached Files:

3. mac2thefuture thread starter macrumors 65816

Wireless, BT Infinity.

Ran the test just now in the very same room on my iPhone and got this.....:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Attached Files:

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

5. mac2thefuture thread starter macrumors 65816

My concern is this:

Why am i getting UPLOADS of just over 1 Mbps via wireless on my new iMac and at least 12Mbps on both my iPhone and MacBook Pro in the same room?

6. chown33 macrumors 604

There could be any number of reasons for the disparity. One reason to try an Ethernet cable with the iMac is to remove all the variables having to do with wifi reception, wifi interference, etc.

I recommend an Ethernet cable and wifi disabled on the iMac. This will make certain that only Ethernet is being used.

If the Ethernet connection shows high upload speed, then the problem is probably not with the router. But without trying Ethernet, all anyone can do is guess at what the possible reasons are: it could be wifi interference, or it could be something else wrong.

7. mac2thefuture thread starter macrumors 65816

I moved a wireless printer away from been so close to my iMac - seems to be giving better results....?????......Thanks