iPhone Very poor wifi from one day to the next

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by dadudeness, Jan 18, 2013.

1. dadudeness macrumors regular

dadudeness

Hey guys,

I'm having a bit of a trouble with my iPhone 5.
    When I got it, it was running iOS 6.0.1 and I had no problems at all. A few weeks later iOS 6.0.2 was released, release notes said: "Fixes wifi-issues". Although I never had wifi-issues I updated to 6.0.2 and my iPhone was all fine. Great wifi, everything was allright.

Some weeks later (something like last week) my iPhone started having problems connecting to wifi from one day to another. I didn't change anything, I didn't change the router-position (Airport Extreme), I didn't change channel, SSID, encryption or passphrase and several other (i-)Devices keep working fine.
    If the distance between router and phone is short enough, It connects and can use it at quite a good speed and stability. But increasing the distance results in a disconnect, although the network is visable at a reasonable quality. Trying to connect to it manually results in a messagebox like "Can't connect to network".

I tried restoring the iPhone completely - from a previous backup, which didn't change anything.

Since then I'm waiting for the iOS 6.1 update.
    I heard a lot about 6.0.2 wifi-issues, but what seems strange to me is that wifi became poor overnight.

Does anyone have similar issues? I don't want to get my phone replaced for a software-issue.

2. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

You could try resetting the iPhone network settings, then re-add your wifi connection.

3. dadudeness thread starter macrumors regular

dadudeness

Thanks for your answer.

I heard about resetting those settings before but since the connection can be established (if the phone is near enough to the router) I thought It wouldn't solve the problem but I would lose all saved networks.

But I'll give it a try this weekend.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'd re-boot the modem / router as well. Often helps.

5. dadudeness thread starter macrumors regular

dadudeness

After rebooting the phone the 2nd thing I tried was rebooting the Router.
    But thanks.

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Wifi issues are a well known problem on iPhone 5 due to the configuration of the housing.

I exchanged my first iPhone 5 (although for a different issue) and the Wifi is better on the new phone Apple gave me.

7. dadudeness thread starter macrumors regular

dadudeness

If the housing was responsible, it would may be less good than it was with a random previous device, but it shouldn't change its establishing-ability from one day to another - unless something broke down hardwareally.

And that's my conflict: is it hardware and the only way to get is fixed is a replacement of the whole phone or is it software and all I have to do is wait a few more days until 6.1 is released.
    I played this hardware-replacement-game several times when the buggy 3.1 was new until they fixed it in 3.1.1.
    And since my network is visible to the phone I can't believe its hardware.

8. dadudeness thread starter macrumors regular

dadudeness

I reset the network settings this evening, reconnected to my wifi and maybe saw a little improvement, but it's not enough to call it a fix.

This makes me even more sure it's not hardware but software.

Come on Apple, fix this by releasing 6.1

9. slickman macrumors newbie

I'm new to Iphone and having the same problems, but I can tell you what worked for me on my IPhone 5 with IOS6.02. Keep all your security settings the same on your wireless router and setup a MAC address access list on the router. I did that and it's now fast and stable, now I'm not having any WIFI issues at all at home. My home router is a Cisco.

10. dadudeness thread starter macrumors regular

dadudeness