Very poorly MBP and superdrive problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by melissa23, Sep 18, 2009.

1. melissa23 macrumors member

I've made previous posts about my MacBook Pro. It's just over 2 years old, with a faulty superdrive which I tried to replace, and ended up losing screws, breaking the superdrive bracket, and killing the screen in the process. I've sent it to be repaired, along with a replacement screen and superdrive I got from ebay. I was assured the screen would work with my laptop- A1226 model, and told that the drive was new and unused.

I sent off my mac and paid in advance, just under £250 to put the whole lot back together again- 4 hours labour, a new left hand side ambient light sensor board (my clumsiness ripped a soldered cable off it), and new screen bezel.

I got a call today from the repair people- apparently the screen isn't quite the right model, so there's about 4 pixels of dead space down the left hand side. The new superdrive won't read anything, just like the old one. He offered to send it back to me with the drive not installed.

The guy said it might be the power cable so he would see if they had a spare one...He also said he 'put the bracket together as best he could.' He said it could be that area of the logic board but they have no facility to test that. He sounded quite young. I've never sent anything to be repaired before, so I'd like some opinions- is it wrong of me to be annoyed that they're not replacing the bracket? They knew from day 1 it was broken. He said 'it's quite easy to replace the superdrive yourself'- I declined, saying look what happened last time I tried! I said I would look for info and email if I found anything as he said he didn't really know what the problem was.

I've googled and not found anything beyond trying compressed air or replacing the drive, which was what the new drive was for.

Sigh..I was thinking of selling the mac when I get it back, and buying a used newer model, but I don't know if I'd get much money for it in this condition.

All advice/thoughts welcome,

Melissa.

2. damage00 macrumors member

Likewise

I've also had problems with the SuperDrive on my early '08 MBP. Problems started about a month after I got it and by that time I was 7,000 miles from the nearest repair shop. When I returned, it also had a faulty hard drive. I told them about both problems but it seems they only replaced the HD because it still has problems.

It's frustrating. Snow Leopard failed 3 times before it would install.

Like you, I've considered selling it and buying a newer model. There are too many in better shape for sale out there. In the end, I decided to upgrade the RAM and try to find an external CD\DVD. I'll upgrade in about a year.