Very scared to update to 5.1.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by applemagic123, May 27, 2012.

1. applemagic123 macrumors regular

applemagic123

Ok, my iphone 4 factory unlocked shipped to me with 5.1 already on it. I really want an untethered jailbreak but it's only available for 5.1.1.

Would somebody care to talk me into updating to 5.1.1? I'm scared because a lot of people have complained about poor battery life with 5.1.1, their photo libraries getting jacked up, random things being jacked up, brightness being jacked up, etc.

If the 5.1.1 update causes my battery to suck, can I downgrade back to 5.1? Thanks.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Backup your data and then restore update to 5.1.1; then jailbreak followed by restore from backup.

I don't have issues. In fact it fixed a couple bugs I was running into.

Anyways you don't normally see people go online and start thread like:
    "Why is my iPhone working fine? Why isn't the screen broken or the battery life crap from updating?"

3. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I'm not an expert, but I believe you may be able to save your SHSH blobs with tiny umbrella, as long as you are on 5.1, and you will be able to downgrade if you have troubles with 5.1.1

4. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

1. Did it ever occur to you that the people who post about their problems are a tiny minority when compared to the people who have not had any problems?

2. If you need talked into it by strangers on the Internet, don't do it.

5. szabby macrumors newbie

Speaking from my experience, I wish I had never updated my iphone 4S, which was running 5.0.1.

I didnt see any real benefits from updating but thought the battery might improve.

Boy was I wrong. It has noticeably reduced my battery, and not only that, it has stuffed up the auto-brightness setting, making it too dark, compared to before, so I cant use auto brightness anymore.

FYI, I updated via a new 5.1.1 download via iTunes (not OTA), then I restored from a backup.

I have already tried the reset settings method recommended on many sites, but that has not improved it at all.

I have yet to try restoring again though, as it is quite troublesome getting my iphone the way I want it.

my 2 cents